Quote from another thread "GD does correlate with autism "

Caporegime
I wouldn't be surprised if some online tests could give good indication of whether you have the condition. You might find some autistic people are rather protective of their diagnosis after it became almost trendy to talk about mental health etc.. in the past few years.

I've seen people with autism do standup comedy.

Re: your spellchecker question, the forum has one built in, I've just logged in using firefox and the word "pritty" above is underlined in red.

Must be a FF thing, nothing on Chrome unless I quote.

Caporegime
I at least historically would call Firefox "Moz", yes as in short for Mozilla.

I thought maybe if you were saying that, it was due to there being some sort of setup which others use which provides spell checking features, such as a Firefox pluggin.

I've no idea mate, but as the dowmeister above says, it should be automatic.

Caporegime
Must be a FF thing, nothing on Chrome unless I quote.

Yeah that is odd, it works on FF and Safari but need to press the quote function in Chrome to get it to display.

(I'm carrying on with this because I think there is some irony in a thread about autism diverting into some minor issue with the forum spellchecker.)

Permabanned
40, rip

Based upon your responses to this autism screening measure, it appears that you are likely suffering from an autism spectrum disorder, or Asperger's disorder. People who score similarly often qualify for a diagnosis of autism or Asperger's.

People with an autism spectrum disorder often suffer from severe and sustained impairment in social interaction and the development of restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, and activities. The disturbance must cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it would be advisable and likely beneficial for you to seek further diagnosis from a trained mental health professional soon to rule out a possible anxiety disorder.

I find this pretty offensive though. I'm technically gifted and rubbish in social situations, so what. It's not for some website to tell me I should seek medical help because of my personality, which I couldn't change even if I wanted to anyway. Stupid website!

Man of Honour
Like the previous times I've done this kind of test is scores me marginal but I don't think it is a great test for instance:

"When I’m reading a story, I find it difficult to work out the characters’ intentions."

Over time I've come aware that I struggle more than most people when it comes to understanding or even noticing social nuances and intentions but have made an effort to try and work around that - something granted someone with a severe degree of Autism will be unable to do or have a much harder time getting a handle on.

Some of the other questions as well - I find it quite easy to tell if I'm boring someone, something people with these kind of conditions often struggle with but not because I understand it from a social context but because I'm obsessive about small details, that a lot of people aren't interested in, that clue me in from another angle.

Back
Top Bottom