• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 270 on a 430W PSU?

Associate
Would the above work okay? The machine currently has an old x1800xt which also requires 1x 6 pin PCI-E connector and that is still running flawlessly since the card came out!

The plan is to buy the card now (MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2G AMD Graphics Card - 2GB), then in a couple of months replace the board, CPU and RAM to a mid range AMD setup, maybe a 6 core and 8GB of memory.

Is this plausible with keeping everything else as it is?

Many Thanks.

Associate
OP
Should have mentioned the make, sorry about that!

It's a Seasonic, was expensive back in the day but never had a single problem with it. I've got a photograph of the sticker somewhere so will have a look.

Thanks for the replies.

Associate
OP
I've been using a molex to 6 Pin since the machine was built. Always been rock solid so figured it should still be okay to use. From what I can see the x1800xt is a power hungry card, or at least was when it was released.

The rest of the system is basic, 1x HDD, 1x SSD, optical drive and a couple of case fans.

Associate
OP
Everything I need to replace keeps bumping the price up more and more.
I fully agree that a high quality PSU is essential. The 500W I linked to above has been used far less than my own and well taken care of. Seems a better idea to go with that one.

Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom