• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Yeah it's a lot tighter apparently. Not sure how much of that translates into RW performance mind you.

My aim was to at least beat my 780Ti reference score but not been able to do that thus far :(

Last edited:
I could do with some assistance, and figured i'd post in here before starting a new thread.

I bought the MSI 290X from OCUK last Tuesday and yesterday i put it in for the first time, it powers up but i see nothing and im pretty sure it doesnt post because i can power it off with the power button, where normally if it was loading into windows it'd need a reset then power off.

I was using a 750w Xigmatek, but i happen to have a cheap 800w PSU to hand also and im getting exactly the same results. I've made sure each power cable comes from its own rail too, if that makes any difference.
I've also used the 6+2 pin power from the Xigmatec plus the 6-to-8 pin adapter which came with the card.

The box says it needs 500w minimum, 150w on 8-pin, 75w on 6-pin, which i dont see why it'd be an issue, and while neither PSU's are uber rated, both should have absolutely no issue providing 500w cleanly.
Specs are in sig (swap 270X for 290X), I've previously had a 7970 running in there for 3wk (mining 24/7 on the 750w) and im only running 2x SSD's and system fans after that, so i doubt its power issues.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can give it to a mate and ask them to try it and see if its any good on their system, i dont see them often but short of RMA'ing it back to OCUK i dunno what i can do.

Last edited:
Would i be mad to buy a 290X Lightning over a 780Ti?
I can get the Lightning for about £40 cheaper.

Looking in this thread the Lightnings don't seem to be great clockers compared to reference boards.

Would i be mad to buy a 290X Lightning over a 780Ti?
I can get the Lightning for about £40 cheaper.

Looking in this thread the Lightnings don't seem to be great clockers compared to reference boards.

You'll never get lightning clocks on a reference board (high temps) unless you go water cooling. Lightning can clock up to 1250 and beyond remain ridiculously cool. Don't think any other air cooler out there can match it. Sure frosty can confirm.

Yeah the cooler and the Samsung vram are what tempt me.
Though I did a quick Google and found a few guys who had black screens with the Lightning. Hm.

I did a good search and black screens seem to be a big problem for 780 cards as well. :D

You can find any problem with a google search. Granted this is a bit different, but still. :p

That's true, but you can't pretend the issue is as widespread on the 780s as it is on the AMD cards.

I'm stuck with a 6850 for now but luckily I'm not home for another week, so I have until then to decide.

That's true, but you can't pretend the issue is as widespread on the 780s as it is on the AMD cards.

I'm stuck with a 6850 for now but luckily I'm not home for another week, so I have until then to decide.

Here are 25 Pages of Black Screen problems on the 780 alone.

https://forums.geforce.com/search/more/sitecommentsearch/780%20black%20screen/

Nvidia user problems end up on Nvidia's forum, AMD don't have such a forum so they end up on forums like this, it just looks worse. Gibbo said the RMA rates for AMD and Nvidia are the same. :)

Back
Top Bottom