• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Got mine today \o/

I actually ordered 5 seconds after they said the Sapphires were sold out, but managed to get one somehow!

So how are peoples experiences with the cards ? getting those 95 degrees celcius and some noise or is it really negilable ?. Happy with performance e.g if going from HD7970s/GTX680s etc ?
I'm really so close to buy óne just to try ít ? :)

Restarted and it stopped. Don't understand how it could be a virus. It's a fresh install of Win8 (I upgraded from Win7 on Wednesday)

If it helps , im having the same issue , disabled ulps but no effect, after restart cards idle @ 300mhz and soon ramp up to 100% usage and full speed , in essence my cards are "idling" at around 70-80 degrees, not impressed :confused:

So how are peoples experiences with the cards ? getting those 95 degrees celcius and some noise or is it really negilable ?. Happy with performance e.g if going from HD7970s/GTX680s etc ?
I'm really so close to buy óne just to try ít ? :)

The initial benches i have run are impressive for the money, the cards feel heavy and well made and dont show any flex in the pci slot which is very welcome

My 2 sapphires sit happily at 1050 mhz and 1400 on the memory happily so far at stock volts.

However it's as hot and as loud as people are saying , i'm having issues with the cards being at 100% load at idle , and no its not a bit coin virus , just removed a 7970 with no issues so its most likely a driver issue.

I'm in two minds really , on one end of the scale its a very powerful card and performs well , on the other it feels like underwhelming chip pushed to its limits with dreadful drivers.

Coincidentally just as i'm writing this my screen went blank for a few seconds and one / both of the cards is making a nasty screeching noise and the aero interface went to classic mode , no no , the screens gone blank again and the fans are roaring, no no its ok , screen back and aero back again.

So right now im unsure, but somethings telling me NOT to redem my BF4 codes any time soon .............

If it helps , im having the same issue , disabled ulps but no effect, after restart cards idle @ 300mhz and soon ramp up to 100% usage and full speed , in essence my cards are "idling" at around 70-80 degrees, not impressed :confused:

Restarted and it stopped. Don't understand how it could be a virus. It's a fresh install of Win8 (I upgraded from Win7 on Wednesday)

Yep I have noticed mine doing this too. I have only noticed it since upgrading to the 3.11 Beta 6 driver (released this afternoon). I was previously using the drivers on the sapphire CD which I believe were 3.11 Beta 3.

It's not doing it now but for a long while after exiting a game/benchmark etc it stays on 100% usage. I reckon it is a driver issue. Fresh install of 8.1, nothing running in task manager and CPU on 0% usage. What brand cards are you guys running?

I'm going to flash the ASUS bios but not sure how, haven't owned a Radeon card since the X1950!

The initial benches i have run are impressive for the money, the cards feel heavy and well made and dont show any flex in the pci slot which is very welcome

My 2 sapphires sit happily at 1050 mhz and 1400 on the memory happily so far at stock volts.

However it's as hot and as loud as people are saying , i'm having issues with the cards being at 100% load at idle , and no its not a bit coin virus , just removed a 7970 with no issues so its most likely a driver issue.

I'm in two minds really , on one end of the scale its a very powerful card and performs well , on the other it feels like underwhelming chip pushed to its limits with dreadful drivers.

Coincidentally just as i'm writing this my screen went blank for a few seconds and one / both of the cards is making a nasty screeching noise and the aero interface went to classic mode , no no , the screens gone blank again and the fans are roaring, no no its ok , screen back and aero back again.

So right now im unsure, but somethings telling me NOT to redem my BF4 codes any time soon .............

wow :/

Just ran the Heaven 4.0 test with GPU-Z running.

My card throttles badly, going down to 759Mhz core clock at one point!

I thought default mode was quiet mode? I flicked the switch on the GPU, rebooted and ran the test again but the fan speed never went above 40%

Switching displays seems to take ages in Windows 8 once it gets hot as well.

I wonder if I have a duff one?

On a brighter note, for me it is no-where near as loud as I thought it was going to be, even switched to uber mode. It absolutely eats 3D Mark for breakfast (in my view at least, compared to my outgoing 580!), I'm running i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, RAID0 M4 SATA3 SSD, R9 290X, getting 9123: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1479547

8 points off an Intel Core i7-4770K & NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan rig. Well chuffed!

Bear in mind I'm running in PCI-E 2.0 mode too.

But yes the drivers seem to be dodgy, but I kinda knew this would be the case - gotta give it a few driver updates at least get it out of Beta and I'm sure all will be good. Great card would highly recommend so far, especially for the price.

on one end of the scale its a very powerful card and performs well , on the other it feels like underwhelming chip pushed to its limits with dreadful drivers.

I actually kinda like this quote! Because as far back as i can remember, AMD have always had to sacrifice heat to get the performance, its was the same with their cpu processors.

Keeping on track, i was actually planning on hopping over from team green for these 290x's in CF but reading this thread has made me double take on my decision :<

Right, can someone clarify this for me? What is the default mode the cards are 'switched' to? I assumed it was quiet

I Installed it without touching the switch. I noticed it throttling badly in GPU-Z, so I thought I would switch to uber mode.

Ran GPU-Z again and noticed the fan speed only ever hit 40%.

So I switched back to the original position and ran it again and still the fan speed only ever hits 40%.

So what gives? Does my card have a manufacturing error where it perhaps received the same BIOS? Is there any way to check if there is any difference between the two BIOS modes?

Might have to get a replacement at this rate :(

I hate to be negative but the longer i sit here watching these cards idling at 80c the more i feel iv'e just bought Amd's desperate attempt of getting back into the game, i was so looking forward to this release and i now have this sinking feeling that all i've bought is a way of heating up the area behind my pc.

i'm going to try installing the drivers on the cd and see how it goes but i'm not going to put up with months of broken drivers and endless fiddling :(

Right, can someone clarify this for me? What is the default mode the cards are 'switched' to? I assumed it was quiet

I Installed it without touching the switch. I noticed it throttling badly in GPU-Z, so I thought I would switch to uber mode.

Ran GPU-Z again and noticed the fan speed only ever hit 40%.

So I switched back to the original position and ran it again and still the fan speed only ever hits 40%.

So what gives? Does my card have a manufacturing error where it perhaps received the same BIOS? Is there any way to check if there is any difference between the two BIOS modes?

Might have to get a replacement at this rate :(

Dont panic , its most likely a driver issue , see what peoples feedback over the weekend brings, tbh i dont think your going to be alone .

What's wrong with this picture?

VincentHanna_GPUZ.gif

I am just at my desktop and don't have anything running!

Back
Top Bottom