• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
I can confirm that uninstalling GPU-Z (or just not running it) has resolved the 100% GPU load issue - phew =D

Anyone actually played any games on it yet lol? It's destroying everything I'm throwing at it, but I guess it would do at 1080p ;)

Ah great to hear. Spread the word my man. Gpu-z needs an update. It doesn't even report the right values for the 290X.

LtMatt ye got up at 5am and playing around with this card since then.
Those memory jumping clocks are so anoying that i cant see using this card without those profiles i made in afterburner.

If i only use overdrive and change memory clocks card will crash from this memory jumping after few minutes of reading forums.

So 2 of us have this problem both with sapphire card. Coincidence not sure.

un installing GPU Z then back soon

Zed read this post above. The guy did what i said and he also uninstalled gpu-z and the issue is gone. Worth a shot mate. Also could be a problem with the Sapphire bios. Can always try flashing the asus one. You know where my bios flash guide is if you need it. :)

Running 1075/1550 with fan set to auto quiet as a mouse with target set to 90c.

Good old Frosty knows what hes doing. :D

Last edited:
Associate
LtMatt ye got up at 5am and playing around with this card since then.
Those memory jumping clocks are so anoying that i cant see using this card without those profiles i made in afterburner.

If i only use overdrive and change memory clocks card will crash from this memory jumping after few minutes of reading forums.

So 2 of us have this problem both with sapphire card. Coincidence not sure.

un installing GPU Z then back soon

Make that 3 with the same issues

Caporegime
LtMatt Just uninstalled turned msi off. rebooted and same ****.
I was clever enough to start recording tho :
This is how memory jumping looks. It does that even without any over clocking on it.

I need to get to the source of this problem.
Challenge accepted :D

Your vid doesn't work man! :p

Surely with these high end cards you should be using HDAO/HBAO instead though Frosty?

I reckon hes talking about Metro Last Light Greg, not far cry.

Caporegime
thats why i just linked it. hotlink does not work dunno why :p

Yeah i see the problem. That kind of looks like a flash/hardware acceleration issue. Might be worth uninstalling gpu-z, reinstall drivers and see if the issue is still there.

If the issue still occurs you can try this. Disabled ULPS and enable Unofficial overclocking mode without powerplay support. Restart pc.

Pht5w38.jpg

Associate
Just done another 3D Mark 11 run, with 10% mem overclock and 5% core:

P12500

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7376566

Extremely happy with that considering I am running an i5 2500K and therefore the card is only able to run in PCI-E 2.0 mode too. 606 points higher than the 'High End Gaming PC' category (Intel Core i7-4770K, GTX Titan)

=D

Associate
Well , i've made my mind up , i'm returning both of mine , i'm so disappointed, the card itself is great and powerful but the cooler is , well lets face it , garbage, its not fit for use, set it so the card doesnt throttle under normal usage and it just sounds like a tornado , in crossfire i think ill end up with tinnitus.

Broken drivers i can live with, the heat that literally pumps from the back of my case and heats up the entire area i can live with, lack of overclocking headroom i can live with too, but the noise is just horrendous. Add everything together and i feel a little conned by AMD, how on earth did they think this was an acceptable cooling solution i will never know, their engineers must have been smoking crack and designed it with crayons.

Permabanned
LtMatt tried UPLS and all drivers already.
Using Display Driver Uninstaller each time.

Cause i know how how overwriting drivers with amd works

Created bootable stick with atiflash on it so rd for action :p

Caporegime
LtMatt tried UPLS and all drivers already.
Using Display Driver Uninstaller each time.

Cause i know how how overwriting drivers with amd works

Created bootable stick with atiflash on it so rd for action :p

Did you do this part? As this used to fix the same flickering issue on the 7970.

enable Unofficial overclocking mode without powerplay support. Restart pc.

Pht5w38.jpg

Soldato
Father in law has pre oerderd an out 290 which says here on 11 Nov

He has asked me to fit it and give it a test so that's what I will be doing!

Soldato
Anyone tried a benchmark loop to see how throttling goes over time? I suspect the reviewers didn't do this and throttling over time could be a major issue for this card

Soldato
Just done another 3D Mark 11 run, with 10% mem overclock and 5% core:

P12500

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7376566

Extremely happy with that considering I am running an i5 2500K and therefore the card is only able to run in PCI-E 2.0 mode too. 606 points higher than the 'High End Gaming PC' category (Intel Core i7-4770K, GTX Titan)

=D

Please run firestrike benches and post them in the official thread.

Permabanned
LtMatt well memory is not jumping. But both memory and clock speeds are stuck at given value. So its kinda better now i got card at 500/625 in 2d profile. At lest memory is not jumping like a tard :D

straxusii i did when i was working out. Ran metto LL 10 runs at 55% fan no throtling

Associate
Its not fit for use, set it so the card doesnt throttle under normal usage and it just sounds like a tornado , in crossfire i think ill end up with tinnitus.

AMD coolers were always loud.. maybe not THAT loud lol but the 6970 on 100% wasn't quiet and you needed ear defenders with the 6990 @ 100%.

But i find it sad how AMD have released a card which is throttling under normal load and its coming towards winter now... Just think what temps they are going to hit when we get another summer like we did this year.

People in hotter climates must be pushing 100+ deg these cards will see many RMA's even the 480 GTX didn't see them temps

Back
Top Bottom