• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
I am one of us!
r9290x.jpg

Soldato
Clocked my sapphire 290 tri-x the other day for the division

Running

1156 - core
1600 memory

+63mv
Stock power

ASIC 74.8%

Reasonable?

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno what the stock voltage on them cards are, but 1142 with hardly any voltage adjustment sounds good yeah, i need about +50 i think for that.

Associate
Hi peeps, i have had Sapphire 290X Vapor- X OC 8GB card for sometime now, it can handle 1200/1500 stable when i overclock.

I would like to try flashing to a 390X bios now. My card is a 8gb like a 390x so it should be be possible right? My only concern is that vapor x uses a 10 phase power and two 8 pins differing from standard 390x. Is this going to be a problem if i decide to flash???

Has anyone flashed this type of card?

Associate
Hi peeps, i have had Sapphire 290X Vapor- X OC 8GB card for sometime now, it can handle 1200/1500 stable when i overclock.

I would like to try flashing to a 390X bios now. My card is a 8gb like a 390x so it should be be possible right? My only concern is that vapor x uses a 10 phase power and two 8 pins differing from standard 390x. Is this going to be a problem if i decide to flash???

Has anyone flashed this type of card?

The sapphire 390x has two 8 pin connectors too, so you should try using that bios and mod as needed (not all 290s can handle the memory frequency/timing of the 390s)

If you are worried about flashing, just make sure you backup your current ones (GPUZ should do) for both switch positions and also only use the dos app NOT atiwinflash. If it fails after, you can just flick the switch to the other position to boot, then once ready to flash on dos prompt, re-switch to the borked one and re-flash it. Also dont flash both positions! You want one as the backup ;)

Should be relatively risk free.

Last edited:
Associate
The sapphire 390x has two 8 pin connectors too, so you should try using that bios and mod as needed (not all 290s can handle the memory frequency/timing of the 390s)

If you are worried about flashing, just make sure you backup your current ones (GPUZ should do) for both switch positions and also only use the dos app NOT atiwinflash. If it fails after, you can just flick the switch to the other position to boot, then once ready to flash on dos prompt, re-switch to the borked one and re-flash it. Also dont flash both positions! You want one as the backup ;)

Should be relatively risk free.

Thank you for your reassurance . Is there an existing dedicated thread with links provided on OC UK?
cheers

Soldato
Clocked my sapphire 290 tri-x the other day for the division

Running

1156 - core
1600 memory

+63mv
Stock power

ASIC 74.8%

Reasonable?

Quite decent, id say you might be able to reach 1200 on the core with +100mv or atleast 1180 and the cooler is fantastic so it should manage to keep the card under 80 degrees fine

Soldato
Best i can get on my card with +63 mv is 1140/1600, after that i start getting artifacting.

ASIC is 74.7%

Best i've pushed out of the card so far is 1240/1700 with +200mv, the card can go up to +300mv but i'm too scared to give it that. Temps are about 85C on VRM and 85C on the core.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How does your 290x handle gaming today?
A better question would be:
How would your 290x of handled gaming today if you still had it?

This compares it up against the 6gb 1060 & it does surprisingly well, It does lose in most of the titles but it does get some good wins & make me wonder did I really need to upgrade?
For me it looks like the answer was No.

Permabanned
Thread resurrection batman!

I have both, its hard to believe its over 4 yr old and fantastic compute power it just guzzles far more juice - and had to mod it to water cooling the blower fan was rediculous gaming full tilt sounded like a jet taking off!

I don't think any blower cards are quiet, at least not any mid to high performance ones.
My Vega blower was like a hairdryer when gaming,

I'm still rocking the 290x :D
Sits in my ryzen build

A good non-reference 290x is still a capable gaming card which is more than can be said for it's original Kepler competition, plus it's Freesync compatible which is a bonus.

Man of Honour
OP
How does your 290x handle gaming today?
A better question would be:
How would your 290x of handled gaming today if you still had it?

This compares it up against the 6gb 1060 & it does surprisingly well, It does lose in most of the titles but it does get some good wins & make me wonder did I really need to upgrade?
For me it looks like the answer was No.

Still got my 4 and would sell as I don't use them but they have waterblocks and a 4 way bridge fitted which makes it difficult to sell.:)

Back
Top Bottom