• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
BF4 performance increase isnt minor.

Appreciated but as someone who doesn't play it I'm not fussed. Incredible amount of hardware choices being made because of one game but then if it was a Bethesda game Id do anything to increase performance if my pc was going to struggle.

Soldato
frenzy your bsod problem seems similar to mine. runs fine until drivers are installed. i will keep you updated if i find the solution

Thanks, I'll let you know if I find anything. I've submitted bug reports to AMD so hopefully they'll know what the issue is.

Do you have a 3d screen btw? Just disabled enable 3d for this monitor in windows control panel. I'm hoping that has an effect. Trying everything I can think of now :(

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Not sure about you but at the time it cost me £1.75 and i use it on two different computers. Well worth it. I think its gone up to £4.99 now though.
Faster performance for everyday use and game benchmarks.

I think I got it at 1.75ea too - except for the last one which was something like the 4.99 you mentioned. But it shouldn't have been necessary.

Soldato
What voltage is the memory rated up to?

I just installed GPU tweak and it was at 1.4mV. I moved the power target slider and it jumped to 1.8mV and is staying there. No BSOD...

iuXKLBw.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Genuine question, will your FX CPU not bottle neck the 290x?

At stock I would imagine so. However it will be interesting to know how it copes at 4.5Ghz and above. AMD Flagship CPU is only 4.7Ghz (5.0 in turbo). Would they release a card that can only run without a bottleneck on an Intel set up?

Associate
Are any of you 290X owners able to answer a question please?

Do any of the 290x cards come with single slots i.e where the DVI ports are side by side instead of on top of each other?

The reason I ask is I would like to fit a single slot cover to the cards so I can use adjacent PCI slots.

Soldato
Have you checked in the settings tab?

I can't see anything that I would be missing.. then again I've only use MSI afterburner before. I know you had to enable voltage tweaks on that but I don't see the option in GPU tweak.

edit: enabling overclocking range enhancement reset all the overclocks but changing +power still increases memory to 1.8mV

Last edited:
Soldato
Im happy to talk performance, but there will always be some kid crying about the cooler as if that is be all end all. And its aggravating me. This time it happened to be some 780 guy who probably doesnt even have any interest in the card, (May or may not have been looking for a reason to bash on the card idk)

1. I'm 27 actually so far from being a "kid"

2. If you were capable of basic comprehension skills you'd see my comments were a long way off pointing out the bad cooler was the be all and end all

3. If you're of the mindset that anybody who is saying something negative about a graphics card is looking for a reason to "bash" it then you are coming across as extremely immature

Not that it should matter but as you appear to be one of those people that can't understand peoples comments without placing them in the green or red box... I have actually owned multiple AMD and NVIDIA cards within the last couple of years and am as far from a "fanboy" as you can possibly get. In fact, I despise it and don't really understand it.

Edit: Petey's gif reminded me of your previous postings in a different thread and I've probably just fed the troll but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Last one today

3970X @4.9
Single 290X @1240/1600

re7h.png

Soldato
Last one today

3970X @4.9
Single 290X @1240/1600

re7h.png

Nice. Puts it a chunk behind 780/Titan in this particular benchmark.

Does the Unigine benchmarks actually favour NVIDIA cards? Or is that just is said becuase they're faster? It's interesting because in Heaven 3.0 the 7970s were a good bit ahead and the reverse argument was said at that point in time.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice. Puts it a chunk behind 780/Titan in this particular benchmark.

Does the Unigine benchmarks actually favour NVIDIA cards? Or is that just is said becuase they're faster? It's interesting because in Heaven 3.0 the 7970s were a good bit ahead and the reverse argument was said at that point in time.

I actually think the Unigine benches favour AMD when it comes to comparing GK104 with Tahiti. When it comes to the GK110 it is a different story, these chips do seem to handle tessellation very well.

Back
Top Bottom