• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Is one 290x better than 670SLI 2gb cards at 2560x1440?

Maybe.
Would depend on games and OC.
I preference one card above sli/crossfire.
I doubt you notice any difference between the cards in practical use tho as its about even.
If you play BF4, Mantle migh be a gamechanger but thats 2 months away.

Associate
i am still scratching my head why my computer locks up after about half an hour using the new amd drivers.... The card is great.... when i get it to work. Do you think a sledge hammer is a good tool to repair this problem? because i am considering it

Last edited:
Soldato
i am still scratching my head why my computer locks up after about half an hour using the new amd drivers.... The card is great.... when i get it to work. Do you think a sledge hammer is a good tool to repair this problem? because i am considering it

I've had a couple of locks, I've been assuming it was something else. But I changed so much when I installed the 290X.

Associate
all i changed was the card and drivers. It runs fine until in game then after about half an hour everything dies and i just get blank screens. Been monitoring all temps and they are fine.. checked ram hard drives updated drivers. Not helped.

Associate
Asus - Hynix
Sapphire - Hynix
HIS - Elpida
Gigabyte - Elpida
MSI - Unknow (Stock arrives today)

I was wondering why My sapphire's memory would crap out around 1400 mhz , i now know why , the sapphire cards use Elpida not hynix , i'm a little confused as i based my choices on the cards with Hynix memory ? :confused:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Soldato

I recently changed from a HD 7950 to a GTX780 and was getting similar issues. The card would lock up and cause a display failure when gaming and when it did work I was getting poor FPS.

In the end it required a full system re-install, even though I had used driver cleaner. I used a spare HD I had lying around to test before clearing my main drive. So if you have a spare HD lying around try a fresh Windows install.

Soldato
I was wondering why My sapphire's memory would crap out around 1400 mhz , i now know why , the sapphire cards use Elpida not hynix , i'm a little confused as i based my choices on the cards with Hynix memory ? :confused:

I would not put faith in a few samples, essentially it is a crap shoot as far as VRAM chips are concerned. With the new MSI Afterburner it should be possible to add some VRAM voltage to allow higher clocks.

Associate
I would not put faith in a few samples, essentially it is a crap shoot as far as VRAM chips are concerned. With the new MSI Afterburner it should be possible to add some VRAM voltage to allow higher clocks.

To be honest i'm sure its not an issue, just seems a little strange that the first batch would be a lottery of what vram chips you get

Back
Top Bottom