• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Word of warning on the Lightning though, they seem to throttle the amperage after 1.5-55v. I've only owned the Lightning personally but a few people have been able to get more out of ragging the reference ones. I didn't bother putting mine on water because of this. Was tempted to get a reference card after I DSRd it.

Associate
Word of warning on the Lightning though, they seem to throttle the amperage after 1.5-55v. I've only owned the Lightning personally but a few people have been able to get more out of ragging the reference ones. I didn't bother putting mine on water because of this. Was tempted to get a reference card after I DSRd it.

Good info MjFrosty. I was tempted with the Lightning, but went reference so I'm ok with that. I'm changing bioses atm. Trying "PT3" and "PT1" now and I've also got the ASUS bios as well. Using the default Gig bios I can bench at a reasonable-ish 1300/1500 on water. Going to chill it down a bit to see if there is anything more to play with. Here's hoping.......:)

Mobster
Soldato
Good info MjFrosty. I was tempted with the Lightning, but went reference so I'm ok with that. I'm changing bioses atm. Trying "PT3" and "PT1" now and I've also got the ASUS bios as well. Using the default Gig bios I can bench at a reasonable-ish 1300/1500 on water. Going to chill it down a bit to see if there is anything more to play with. Here's hoping.......:)

Ill be waiting mate :cool:

Caporegime
:p

Matt I need the opinion of your ears.
If I got two and downvolted them is it likely I would hear them over a noise cancelling headset?

I don't hear them over my G35 headset while gaming. If you undervolt you can get away with running the fan at lower speeds which is not that loud, in my opinion. Noise is subjective though and a lot of people find it very loud. At 50% fan speed its marginally (1-2db) louder than a reference titan cooler. Beyond 50% it does get a fair bit louder. If you're anal about noise, probably best off avoiding. I Use this fan profile below and it tops out around 52-57%, depending on the game im playing. I live in a hot room which does not help. I recommend changing the paste to Gelid on the reference cooler, it helps. I can stand up to around 60% or so personally speaking, which is good for a 10% overclock and keeps temps in the mid 80's.

KD4ixPF.jpg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom