• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

radeon hd3870

Associate
:confused:when are these radeon hd3870 cards going to be available?its either pre-order or no mention of them on some websites.i thought they were supposed to have been released begginning of this month.if it drags to december or january ,just as well wait for the radeonx2 version and miss this one altogether.just a thought.

Associate
OP
:cool:and what do you call loads,i kept a check on gibbo.s website first it was taken of until official then the next day it was pre-order.couldn,t have been that many.

str

str

Soldato
My bro bought a 3870 when it came out and he thought it was faulty or the drivers sucked because he was getting lots of graphics corruption in games but it turned out it was his ASRock motherboard (it's an AGP/PCI-E and DDR1/DDR2 hybrid) causing the problem. He was in the process of organising an RMA for his 3870 and bought a 8800GT and it wouldn't even boot in the ASRock.

He then bought the Asus 680i board as it was suspected the ASRock motherboard was incompatible with the 8800GT and the Asus board runs both the 8800GT and the 3870 perfectly.

What's weird though is with his setup (Intel 6420 at stock and 2GB DDR2 667) the 3870 is 50 fps to 100 fps faster in CS:Source than the 8800GT yet all the reviews put the 8800GT way ahead of the 3870. I got him to try with anti-aliasing enabled and that dropped his fps a lot.

I guess people must know the 3870 is a really fast card especially if they don't bother with anti-aliasing. :)

Last I heard from him he was going to put the 8800GT on ebay to try recoup the money he spent on it (£187!). :D

Caporegime
lots of places have already had them in, and sent out stocks, the difference is, most places list most brands having some availability within the next two weeks, as in some things, sapphire looks like they should be around in lots of stores next week, club3d seem further away, his seem to be going in and out of stock in a lot of places.

the numbers were guessed at 50k worldwide for the GT, and a long time before next batches, which is far worse than the ati numbers, and ati are coming back in stock before nvidia. wouldn't put that on the same level.

it was a cheap nvidia trick, rather than wait for luanch quantity they dropped a tiny amount out a few weeks early. which also, because of bad availability meant most places in the world bumped prices up. all for the sake of launching before ati they screwed all their customers on prices.

str

str

Soldato
If you think about it the logical comparison for the new ati cards based on price would have been the 8600GTS but for the 8800GT so I guess nvidia had to get a faster cheaper GPU out there before the new ati cards for the reviewers to have something that will make them look good. ;)

Associate
OP
:)any one else noticed that powercolour ati hd3850 comeswith 512mb memory while the others are all 256mb and not a lot of difference in price.

Back
Top Bottom