• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Caporegime
There was a quote on here saying that AMD don't take royalties for their part in the creation of HBM so they don't pay the same amount for it as others. Not sure where it came from though.

Permabanned
It won't last 3 years+ as a high end card because it's too slow. I'm not rude or greedy, to expect competition is neither of these things and I won't apologise for it. It's AMD's job to produce a product that is so good that people will want to switch from Nvidia and not for the first time they haven't done this, I'm sorry.

Putting more memory on a card than it actually needs is not a new tactic, manufacturers have done it for years as a selling point on budget cards that were too slow to take advantage of that extra RAM. The Radeon VII is too slow at 4K and by the time games need more than 8 GB there will be better cards out.

The one positive for the Radeon is in professional workloads and now with the pro drivers and high FP64 performance then it is a good deal.

The card is not slow.

With the following framerates:

Radeon VII 16GB
Rainbow Six Siege 4K@84,60
Strange Brigade 4K@84,60
Wolfenstein 2 4K@81,20
Civilization VI 4K@79,00
Grand Theft Auto V 4K@75,90
Battlefield V 4K@74,80
F1 2018 4K@72,80
Far Cry 5 4K@68,20
Divinity Original Sin 2 4K@64,20
The Witcher 3 4K@57,80

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War 4K@49,80
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 4K@49,60
Dragon Quest XI 4K@44,40
Just Cause 2 4K@43,80
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 4K@42,20
Hellblade 4K@39,80
Hitman 2 4K@39,70
Darksiders 3 4K@39,30
Ghost Recon Wildlands 4K@38,20

Assassins's Creed Odyssey 4K@33,50
Monster Hunter World 4K@28,00

With one clarification - a card which pushes the aforementioned titles at higher framerates which you will notice and costs the same DOESN'T exist.
So, reality check a must! :D

Associate
I would grab a 2080 over a Radeon VII in truth, as it is the same price (or less) and gives a 10% performance overall in all the games TPU tested

Performance per dollar is the second worst card, only just behind the 2080Ti, so clearly not a good buy.

At 1440p, its even more embarrassing. Loses to the 1080ti by 5% and to the 2080 by 14%. Just 6% faster than 2070. Its closer to 2070 than the 2080

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/images/relative-performance_2560-1440.png

** Do not hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP
At 1440p, its even more embarrassing. Loses to the 1080ti by 5% and to the 2080 by 14%. Just 6% faster than 2070. Its closer to 2070 than the 2080

relative-performance_2560-1440.png
Ouch! I forgot about the 1080Ti and shows it is still a beast of a card, even at 2 years old.

Caporegime
OP
lol I can't believe you can be so naive. Type the numbers game by game in Excel and let the Excel show you the real difference.
Whoever posted those graphs is an idiot.
I am crap at math and hence why I ask. I am sure someone who is decent will take the time to do it but not me. Even if you are correct, 8% faster for the 2080 makes it the sensible choice, even if a Freesync screen is being used... Faster/Quieter/Cheaper/Less power hungry.... Just using logic!

Man of Honour
Mate, it is from the source that you quoted. How is it incorrect?

If your going to go right up to 1440 is it not fair to also show 4k? I don't know what the reviews say and to be fair haven't read any reviews really. I bought it as to be fair I knew exactly what chip I was buying (Vega 20/MI50) and what it is capable of. As an owner 4k and compute is really what I bought the card for.

Caporegime
OP
If your going to go right up to 1440 is it not fair to also show 4k? I don't know what the reviews say and to be fair haven't read any reviews really. I bought it as to be fair I knew exactly what chip I was buying (Vega 20/MI50) and what it is capable of. As an owner 4k and compute is really what I bought the card for.
I did show 4K. Someone else posted 1440P and I don't knock anyone for buying one at all. I just don't like someone using mass bias to suit an argument like that 4k8k does.

Soldato
Actually you don't see things that others don't but use the placebo effect to see what you want.

I am feeling the same way in truth. Getting a bit peeved at the high prices and might just say **** it anf grab a PS5.

Seriously, you have to stop this. As someone who still owns a 290X, I have never seen any difference in IQ between AMD or NVidia once the monitor has been set to how I like it. There is no compression used from NVidia and again, your placebo is letting you see what you want (or even read what you want, as I can't imagine you won an NVidia card).
If the high prices are bothering you, you need to be sensible and not buy anything that's obscenely priced, no matter how much you want to support nVidia. It's gonna take the die hards like you to have some restraint and not buy in.

Soldato
It won't last 3 years+ as a high end card because it's too slow.

No that's not how the industry works. It makes no difference whether a new gen is 20% or 80% faster than the last - it will last just as long! Game developers work to the hardware that is availabe. Case in point - Intel went through a whole decade without improving much and it made absolutely no difference because game developers slowed down development of areas requiring a faster CPU. Now more cores are available so game developers are taking advantage and using the extra cores.

Games developers will only make use of whatever hardware their customers have. Hense, both the Radeon VII and it's equal rival the 2080 will last as any other gen because game develpers will hold back.

Soldato
I would grab a 2080 over a Radeon VII in truth, as it is the same price (or less) and gives a 10% performance overall in all the games TPU tested

Performance per dollar is the second worst card, only just behind the 2080Ti, so clearly not a good buy.

Then Nvidia will continue releasing very expensive products because you'll buy them anyway. We need to make a stand!

Soldato
All the GPU manufacturers are doing is pushing more and more users towards Consoles, which is a win for AMD lol, Nvidia are pushing some of their customers to line AMD's pockets.

Next gen consoles will be good, I have the Xbox One X and its a great bit of kit, recently added KB and Mouse support albeit devs have to implement it, and MS is pushing cross play with other platforms. So if the next round of consoles are significantly better i can see even more PC gamers switching to consoles.

The fact that for the price of a 2080ti you can buy a 55" 4K TV, Console, games, subs to services etc shows you how out of whack PC components are becoming.

For the price of one current high end PC with an Intel CPU, Nvidia or AMD GPU, Screen etc i can buy both my kids a 4K TV and a Console each and a years sub to some services.

You dont have to buy the most expensive card. There's some nice cards for £180 - £300 just like there was for any other gen. Why do people always think the high end is the only option? I've never bought high end in my life.

Back
Top Bottom