• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Soldato
In terms of performance, it's pretty much equal to an RTX 2080 which is a win. Nobody can argue that.

I cant really comment on price because my budget is £200 so it would be ridiculous to expect a high end card for that anyway. Hopefully Navi will fulfil my expectations.

Permabanned
In terms of hardware it's 'meh'.

What do you mean? State-of-the-art HBM 2 memory running at 1200 GB/s for you is meh? First ever 7nm GPU is meh?

In terms of inspiring some competition and reduced prices, it's a massive fail.

Look again at AMD's product line:
What more do you want? :D

Impressive but more impressive is how the RX 590 absolutely crushes a 1060 now and is not a million miles behind a 1070, for a £239 card with 8G its bloody epic value for money, plus the three games, sell them and your ownership experience cost you under £200. :)

Also impressive how Vega 56 not only beats a 1070Ti and 2060, it can also rival 1080 in some games, not many, but again for a card under £300, with 8G and three free games, AMD really are doing a great job in the mainstream and middle segment at the moment, yes they might be old products but the performance has improved considerably since their launch and the prices have come down.

Their line up is pretty good! Even the RX 570 can nearly match a 1060, that is wow! :eek:

RX Vega 7 @ £649
RX Vega 64 @ £379
RX Vega 56 @ £299
RX 590 @ £239
RX 580 @ £179
RX 570 @ £139

Seriously they win every segment under £600, have a better games bundle, unless your looking for absolute best (2080Ti) then my money would be on an AMD card personally. :)

P.S. Undervolt the 56 and 64, up power target and you typically gain another 10% performance quite easily without having to faff around with clock speeds. :)

Caporegime
You can stick as much HBM as you want on a card but is it making any difference to performance?

If they could have a 12GB card would it loose 25% of the memory bandwidth, and what would be the performance impact?

If the performance impact was minimal, dropped the price sub £600 and reduced power/thermals that would seem a good trade off.

That HBM2 isn't cheap:

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/48019-radeon-vii-16gb-hbm-2-memory-cost-around-320

Soldato
Look again at AMD's product line:
What more do you want? :D

It's weird bubble that some tech enthusiast live in. The VII IS late to this level of performance though. GCN needs to be replaced, it's obvious. NV have been down architecture dead ends before, though GCN has had a good run and is still good in the bilk of the market, just not leading edge

Caporegime
It's weird bubble that some tech enthusiast live in. The VII IS late to this level of performance though. GCN needs to be replaced, it's obvious. NV have been down architecture dead ends before, though GCN has had a good run and is still good in the bilk of the market, just not leading edge

4K8K basically lives in an AMD bubble.

Soldato
I wouldn't be in the market for this card mainly on the awful racket it makes, and also it's too expensive.

Why would you buy this over a similarly priced 2080 which will run cooler and draw less power?

So a bit meh from me.

Permabanned
Why would you buy this over a similarly priced 2080 which will run cooler and draw less power?

Because 8GB <<< 16GB and because of AMD's improving drivers over time. RTX 2080 is a weak product with too much overhead transistors wasted on its die.

Soldato
A total fail unfortunately. 1080 Ti FE performance two years later for the same price as back then while being much louder and more power hungry with serious driver problems as well. However, Nvidia haven't been much better with their faulty and extortionately priced RTX cards.

Soldato
Car manufacturer A released a car that can hit 100mph and do 50mpg.

Car manufacturer B releases a competing car that can hit 95mph and do 35mpg but the engine is so loud you can’t hear the car stereo.

Just who is going to buy car B?

Permabanned
I think the biggest problems are going to be based on AMD changing how Wattman works with it, They had a perfectly good overclocking set up which they got praised for but then they started tweaking it, first changing the way we control the fans on our cards making it IMO worse and from what I've watched online they've changed all of it for Radeon 7. Someone here on OCUK posted the old adage 'If it ain't broke' yesterday and this is a good example.
I'm going to be putting in lot's of report forms over the next few weeks asking them to change it back or at least relax the limits they've put in place, What made Vega so good was how well it could be tweaked & of course how much freedom we had when it came down to tweaking it.

Caporegime
This is an especially niche product. I've only watched 6 video reviews but what I can gather so far is.....

Pros:
vram for content production/mods/4k;
positions itself in the very high tier level of performance (between 2070 & 1080Ti speeds, occasionally equalling or beating the 2080);

Cons:
noise;
heat;
tweaking required/doesn't seem to be in an ideal state for launch;
limited supply;
price, though this is to be expected, and iirc, it can be had for a little less than the 2080? (and a lot less than the 1080Ti)

So all in all, it's nice to see AMD put something out in the very high-end segment, though there are more negatives in its current state at present. However, some of these may well be ironed out in due course.

Something is better than nothing, and so it's therefore very good (and refreshing) to see AMD making an appearance in this performance segment. But in my opinion, is it a 'win'..... no (well, more of a no than a yes, at least for now anyway).

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know what people were expecting from a repurposed datacenter GPU, but a lot of the negativity thrown at the Radeon 7 is just comical to me.

Just as is your posting history, any constructive valid criticism automatically gets defended by yourself. Amd do no wrong.

Back
Top Bottom