1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon VII

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by DragonQ, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Gerard

Caporegime

[​IMG]

Just done this in paint, not sure why they didn't go with this, just takes them to move the logo forward slightly and take out a piece of the aluminium.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. Minstadave

Capodecina

Looks good!

3. Gerard

Caporegime

Makes sense as well as it matches the underside of the gpu so you have 2 vents of similar size instead of one being restricted because of a logo.

[​IMG]

4. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Bad cooler design. ^^^^^

Better cooler design:

[​IMG]

5. Gerard

Caporegime

A single fan cooler would never be enough to handle the radeon vii so it is what it is. And btw, dumping the hot air in the case only increases internal temps marginaly, 4-5 c or thereabouts so its not as bad as people make out.

6. JediFragger

Capodecina

Once undervolted and limited to 2000/2100rpm I think it should be quite quiet :)

7. 4K8KW10

Soldato

A design with two smaller turbines on the far right/top right part of the PCB, and heatpipes going from the large Vega 20 "vapour-chamber" directly to the left, connecting with the ports plate and transfering the heat directly to all the metal section of the chassis will keep the Vega 20 cold as ice. I promise you :D

8. Gerard

Caporegime

You already talked about this the other day, if it was as easy or as effective as you make out it would have been done a long time ago. Just because we only see 3 main cooler designs from companies (blower, axial and aio) doesn't mean that behind the scenes they haven't experimented with other options.

9. 4K8KW10

Soldato

\

I want a product which they sell to me, and I see it. What they do behind the scenes you can't know. Maybe they never did it.

10. Minstadave

Capodecina

11. vapor matt

Wise Guy

Maybe you should apply for chief cooler designer at AMD. all the top air coolers are triple fan design and iam sure asus, Msi and the rest have put a lot of time into there designs, perhaps the cooler on the 2080ti lightning is the reason it costs so much. I think AMD went this
    way to save it taking up 2 slots across the PCie lanes.

Now that would have been better, a smaller logo with better heat dissipation.

12. 4K8KW10

Soldato

I don't know. There are double fan designs and I am sure they are better than the reference Radeon VII.

They just order some type of a cooler from a third company and slap it over the die never thinking is it good, is it not good, will customer complain, whatever, just slap it there and whatever happens...
    The problem is that they don't design the graphics cards as one unity but slap different parts no one knows from where found and whatever happens.
    Hence, the terrible results.

[​IMG]

13. Gerard

Caporegime

The fact that a dual blower card has never seen the light of day suggests it was tried and never worked. Do you honestly think companies would try dual and triple axial fans and never have the same thought about the possibility of a dual blower fan card? Unlikely.

14. Gerard

Caporegime

Funny thing is the logo is exactly the same size, just moved forward and that piece of aluminium blocking the fins removed. Bit odd why this seemingly never occurred to them, i mean if you look at the pcie power connectors they even have little portions cut out for some fins to show through, yet for the main top area of the card they thought it better to taper it in heavily with aluminium. :confused: Nvidia did exactly the same thing with the turing coolers, the geforce logo tapered in heavily blocking off the fins and minimising the amount of space that air could be funneled through. Though they done it at both the top and bottom of the card which was doubly dumb.

Whether this makes much of a difference in reality we'll never know, unless someone willing to take a hacksaw to their coolers :p

15. vapor matt

Wise Guy

I have to agree, I thought the logo was smaller to be honest, but even so that little detail of allowing the air to move more freely could equate to a few C less in temp. maybe when the warranty is out I will get the Dremel out:p 2 years 363 days to go :D

16. pingu666

Wise Guy

you could make another shroud out of cardboard or something to test it, maybe? cant remmber if the shroud comes off easily in a non warrenty voiding way. but yeah theres often asthetics led choices on coolers still that are stupid.

and in this case its obivous and silly free performance they giving up, whatever the gain is.

17. Brazo

Wise Guy

MSI’s twin frozr (dual fan) set up has always been one of the best and the quietest coolers.

18. Gerard

Caporegime

Used to be at least, triple is the order of the day for most of the newer cards. Though still a few dual fan ones kicking around.

19. Illuminist

Wise Guy

20. hyperseven

Soldato