• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
AMD Shares More Radeon VII Details, Performance Projections
Updated (1/11/2019, 6 PM EST): An AMD spokesperson has informed us that the widely reported GPU configuration for the Radeon VII is incorrect. The Radeon VII does not have 128 ROPs. Like Vega 64, Radeon VII is a 64 ROP card. The reports of a 128 ROP design were made by multiple well-regarded sites with reporters on-site at CES. It’s not clear why this information was reported incorrectly or how the error was introduced.

ExtremeTech regrets the error. All discussion and speculation of a 128 ROP design in the story below should be considered incorrect. Our story on the correct 64 ROP configuration can be read here.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283514-amd-radeon-vii-details-performance-projections

Soldato
AMD Shares More Radeon VII Details, Performance Projections
Updated (1/11/2019, 6 PM EST): An AMD spokesperson has informed us that the widely reported GPU configuration for the Radeon VII is incorrect. The Radeon VII does not have 128 ROPs. Like Vega 64, Radeon VII is a 64 ROP card. The reports of a 128 ROP design were made by multiple well-regarded sites with reporters on-site at CES. It’s not clear why this information was reported incorrectly or how the error was introduced.

ExtremeTech regrets the error. All discussion and speculation of a 128 ROP design in the story below should be considered incorrect. Our story on the correct 64 ROP configuration can be read here.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283514-amd-radeon-vii-details-performance-projections

Wow. Just wow. That is nuts that happened and a total let down.

Caporegime
I always thoughtful 128ROP was suspicious. That would mean AMD doubled ROP count for Instinct cards, pointless.

Beyond the clock speed, the main performance gain will be be bandwidth.

Associate
So the GPU is actually cut down compared to a Vega 64, but comes with a clock and memory increase. That doesn't look good on a spec sheet. Why didn't they at least match the previous 64 compute units?

These are salvaged MI60 chips which AMD would otherwise have to throw in the bin. Sensible option is to get some money out of them by making Vega 7. Nvidia's high prices make it a viable product for AMD.

Permabanned
So the GPU is actually cut down compared to a Vega 64, but comes with a clock and memory increase. That doesn't look good on a spec sheet. Why didn't they at least match the previous 64 compute units?

They're using the chips that never made the cut for the professional cards.

Yes, but everything else on the GPU has been cut down; compute units, stream processors, TMUs.

Yes, It sits between the Vega 56 & Vega 64 in relation to how cut down it is from the full fat chip, rops are the same though, I think Vega's performance improvement dropping from 14nm to 7nm proves that Navi will only be what it was always meant to be before the rumour mill got to work, a Polaris replacement.
I don't think we will see a proper shift until we leave GCN behind. There's nothing wrong with that though.

Soldato
So what will AMD in 1 year when nvidia move to 7nm. Turing on 7nm is going to be a BEAST of a card. I just dont see VEGA competing with that on any level, unless 5nm is available.

AMD gfx division future is not looking bright, i hope for their own sake they have a whole new architecture. In grand scheme of things you have to give credit to NVIDIA, their architecture is very efficient.

Associate
So what will AMD in 1 year when nvidia move to 7nm. Turing on 7nm is going to be a BEAST of a card. I just dont see VEGA competing with that on any level, unless 5nm is available.

AMD gfx division future is not looking bright, i hope for their own sake they have a whole new architecture. In grand scheme of things you have to give credit to NVIDIA, their architecture is very efficient.

Vega will be EOL by then (maybe even earlier depending on how Navi performs) and AMD have a new architecture coming next year to hopefully go against Nvidia's next chip.

Back
Top Bottom