Radiator failure

Associate
A while ago my custom loop started very slowly dropping water levels.

The loop consisted of 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 radiators (pretty ancient, 9+ years old but always looked after) and a Laing DDC Ultra 18W. The fluid was distilled water and a kill-coil was used to inhibit any growth.

I checked it many times to try and isolate any potential leaks and never found anything, so I kept it running but kept an close eye of the fluid levels, which indeed continued to drop (the system would lose about 150ml of fluid over 2-3 months, so it seemed it indeed had a small drip-leak.

Eventually I said enough was enough and did a pretty extensive leak-test with the components off, and probably because the loop was now cold I found signs of evaporated water drops on a hard-drive bay, so luckily the system leak had not occurred near any components.

I then did a test and sure enough the top mounted Thermochill radiator had a very small drip leak that had obviously worsened over time. So I redid the loop, removing LQ for the cpu and just using the 1 good radiator for my GPU, and I decided to use Distilled + EK-Cyrofuel for the new loop, removing the kill-coil.

The water itself of the loop was clear, with a bit of black tarnishing on the copper blocks, but nothing particularly noticeable.

The strange part is I isolated the leak point in the radiator to inside the fin-pipes. At first I thought I might have punctured a pipe with installation of radiator fans/screws, but it turned out the leak coming from deep in the middle of the radiator away from any screw holes. The leak only occurred with the high-pressure generated with the pump-loop running, so I was basically unable to locate the exact location of the leak once I removed it from the loop.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? The only theory I really have is some sort of galvanic corrosion that slowly ate away at the internal radiator fin-pipes, but I am not sure if such a thing is even really possible.

Associate
OP
Interesting. Was your radiator that failed vertical or horizontal? My top-horizontal radiator was the one that failed, and it was also closest to the pump. My remaining radiator is vertically mounted outside the back of the case and seems fine so far, but I will leak-test it for sure before I even think about rebuilding my loop.

Associate
OP
The first loop I only used distilled water and a silver-kill coil. No growth at all but a a fair bit of black tarnishing, especially on the CPU block. My interim GPU-only loop I added EK Cryofuel inhibitor just to play it safe.

It's pretty interesting I am not the only one who has had this issue, must be a fatigue or corrosion issue with the fin-tubes, maybe exacerbated by powerful pumps? If I do watercool again I don't think I will risk putting a rad inside the case again.

Back
Top Bottom