RAID 1 question

Dutch Guy said:
No experience whatsoever but if I assume you mean 100Gb and not 100Mb and I take the maximum speed of the drive at 50MB/s that comes to 34 minutes but I would not be surprised if it takes longer than that.

Incorrect assumption...

100MB it is. The reason I asked is because Ii've just set up a RAID 1 set for a backup storage system and wanted to test this. I copied a small amount of data into the array and then removed one of the HDs. I then put the drive back in and started the rebuild, which by my calculations, will take about 2 hours. Seemed a bit long to me.

lucifersam said:
it wont take very long at all infact it would have probably taken less time to get on with it than to create this thread!

I had started it approximately 1 hour before creating this thread. Currently 79% rebuilt. Never used RAID 1 before so didn't know what to expect, hence the thread. Any ideas why it's going so slow?

(Edit: I'm using an onboard Sil3114 RAID controller)

sinister_stu said:
I had started it approximately 1 hour before creating this thread. Currently 79% rebuilt. Never used RAID 1 before so didn't know what to expect, hence the thread. Any ideas why it's going so slow?

(Edit: I'm using an onboard Sil3114 RAID controller)

In that case you are not transfering 100MB of data or you have a faulty disk (check SMART) or a dodgy RAID controller

Thanks for the replies. I had assumed it would just be copying the data across but wasn't sure as I'd never used RAID 1.

I'll check SMART as soon as the rebuilding is finished and also the cables. I don't think they'll be faulty though as they've worked before... what do you mean by faulty cabling? Anything more than the obvious?

I'll also get the latest drivers, will this mean setting the RAID array up again, or is it all stored in the MBR? I really don't know how RAID works.

Just updated the Sil3114 drivers and found HDD health, which didn't show the RAID drive(s) before I updated the drivers, but does with the latest ones.

The drives are both ok and the cables are also fine... Now to force a rebuild again...

Edit: Still taking ages to rebuild. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
you may find that whether its 100mb of data or not it has to do the whole drive... it would presume that the replacement drive is in an unformatted (or different) state.

Back
Top Bottom