RAID0 & Slow Vista Boot times.

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been running my 2 WD RE3's in RAID0 for a month or 2 now & although Vista feels snappier & game sload a bit faster etc I'm not entirely happy at how long Vista takes to load.

I was running a Sammy F1 500g as my boot drive & I would say from pressing the button to being on the desktop took around 30 seconds, the green bar swept along the screen 2-3 times during loading.

Now with my 2x320g drives in RAID 0 it takes over 1 minute to load Vista, the green bar passes over the screen 9-10 times during loading, while I'm very happy with the performance of the drives after vista loads I would like to cut the loading time down.

I have tried cutting down what is loaded in Vista but in all honesty it is double the time it took for the same installation on a single drive. If this is normal for RAID then I guess I'll live with it, I get a bit niggled if I feel something is wrong & I need to try to fix it if that is the case.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PC Specs are :-

ASUS P5Q-E motherboard
Q6600@ 3.6
2 WD RE3 320g drives in RAID0 on the ICH10R controller
2 500g drives for backup

If you need any more info please ask......I'm stuck on this one lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm that's not normal mate. I had RE3's in RAID0 and it was very snappy and loaded Vista a little faster than a single drive.

You say it's pausing, have you tried checking the event logs to see if anything is coming up?

What stripe size did you use for the RAID array? Default is usually 128k but I use 64k for OS installs as there tends to be lots of smaller reads.

Soldato
OP
I installed with the 128k stripe.

It's quite quick right up to the green vista bar coming up, on my single drive that was passing only a couple of times or so, now its up to about 9 passes.

In Vista it is quite quick & I get good benchmarks form them, it's just this one slow boot problem that annoys me.

I'm at work now but will check when I get home.

Soldato
OP
Ok got a few things stopped & I'm now on 7 passes of the green bar, still seems longer but a bit better.

Would still like some help please :)

Back
Top Bottom