Random Boot issue

Associate
In the last two weeks my PC has had this weird problem when booting. I press the on button (or reset it) and everything powers up, but i don't hear the beep and nothing gets displayed on the screen. It justs stays like this.

I have to press reset a few times, or power down then up again to get it beep then boot properly. Sometimes it'l boot fine first time, but sometimes it'l take a number of goes to get going. In the past it hasn't had to beep for it to turn on - BIOS issue?

I have opened it up and checked everything is connected properly which didnt help. I cant see anything not turning on the times when it doesnt boot.

Stuck for ideas.....?

Soldato
sounds like a BIOS prob. On one of the times it boots ok go into the bios and reset it to safe defaults > save and resrart - if that doenst work then clear the CMOS (just remove the battery for 1 min if you dont know how).

hopefully should fix your prob :) let us know how you get on.

- Supe

Associate
OP
Yeh i tried resetting the CMOS and setting everything to default and it booted fine a couple of times. Then i overclocked my CPU back to its previous levels and it improved slightly but still does it.

I dont wana leave it at stock, as i didnt have this problem with my overclock for the last few months until recently

Soldato
We'll need to know what system you have mate - what are your specs? particualarly your mobo.

Have you set your RAM timings correctly? I got this when i hadnt set the timings to CAS 2.5.

- Supe

Associate
OP
Opteron 146 @ 275x10
MSI Neo4 SLI Platinum
2x1GB Gigaram PC3500 but run at 200Mhz 3-3-3-8
X850XTPE
Antec Neopower 480
X-Fi Xtreme Music

The ram doesn't like CAS2.5 as far as i can remember

Back
Top Bottom