• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Random reboots during gaming after upgrading to RX7900XT

Associate
I've recently replaced my RTX3080 10GB with a RX7900XT Reference.

I ran DDU removed all drivers and shut down before swapping the cards for a clean install and installed the latest version of adrenalin.

I'm able to run Heaven benchmark's without issue but experiencing sudden shutdown/reboots during gaming I never experienced before? This is across multiple titles.

The 7900 is 2nd hand but temps seem okay 70 GPU temp and 90 hotspot.

I have a 850W EVGA G3 power supply.

I'm going to run memtest just to rule out any random RAM errors. CPU is a 5900X.

Any other suggestions?

I set the power limit to -10 started Atom heart and it crashed even quicker (10 mins maybe). PC boot looped 5-6 times and then finally got back into windows.

Used DDU to clean and restart again and reinstalled Adrenalin 24.8.1 leaving all settings stock including leaving my screen refresh rate at 60hz

Just played an hour of Atomic Heart without any issues so fingers crossed we might be okay now!

My RTX 3080 was a basic twin fan Dell OEM model but it would sit silently at 50% fans and a solid 71c with a slight OC via MSI afterburner. I have a Evolv X case with 3x140 Noctua's in front so plenty of airflow for the GPU. Since reinstalling Adrenalin the difference between GPU and Hotspot seems closer but that could be due to the frames locked at 60hz putting less stress on the card.

Will try again with the FPS set to 144hz (I have a 165hz OLED 1440p) and see what happens? I also have a Kryosheet on order as it doesn't look like the cards been opened to be repasted.

Posted this in a few other threads, I had the same issue with my XFX Merc 310 7900 XT.

I tried lots of different things under lock/volt, fresh windows etc and could run stress tests like Firmark for 2+ hours, no temp issues or crashes. But gaming was a different story, in the end all I could put it down to was the drivers causing issues.

I could run drivers from around May/June but ones after that including preview ones would cause crashing, black screens, timeouts even from cold boots, I would get the default setting message as well. So even though I could run earlier drivers I’m then missing out on game updates and things like AFMF2, in the end I’ve had to change card.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but hopefully you can get it sorted.

Yes, this is definitely just a stop gap until I can order a RTX5080.

Okay 18 months might be extreme but 2-3 years certainly plus it’s only a 10-15 min job (CPU) and I normally see an improvement in temps.

My Dell RTX3080 had a significant improvement in temps when I repasted the die and added additional thermal paste to the Vapor chamber contact plate.

Other forums and various YouTube vids suggest switching to Kyrosheet on RX7900 GPU’s reduces the difference between the GPU temp and hotspot so why not give it a try?

Last edited:
I've had cards for 3 or 4 years that haven't required repasting so I don't know where you're getting that information. .
An OEM is going to install a thermal paste that lasts the length of the cards warranty, keeps the card within spec at a certain price point which is why as you say people can go many years without repasting.

But that doesn't mean there isn't a performance uplift to be gained from replacing the OEM paste with a TIM better thermal properties. It's the same reason people buy a GPU then slap a water block on it.

So something I overlooked as this is my first AMD card since Vega64 is fan curve. The factory fan curve seems a bit conservative with fan RPM to low in relation to temp. I've adjusted the curve so 50c is 50% RPM through to 90c is 100% and temps are now a far more comfortable 56c and hotspot 68c without out any rebooting.

This did create an additional problem in that Adrenaline would factory reboot any time I shut down/rebooted! First I made sure that MSI Afterburner was completely removed as this applies GPU settings during boot but this didn't fix it. Turns out it's a known issue with Copilot so disabled it using PS and ViVetool and we are all good plus it fixed a minor issue with my MSI WiFi adapter.

The cards 2nd hand from a popular auction site but I will try and register it with Sapphire and see if I do have any warranty.

Having water-cooled previous cards I'm not phased by dismantling GPU's and I do have the Kryosheet to hand so I may still fit it at some point.

I went ahead and removed the factory thermal paste today and replaced it with the Thermal Grizzly Kryosheet i ordered! The factory paste was dry and crusty but cleaned off easily enough.

The Kryosheet was a bit fiddly as it wanted to slide around on the clean GPU Die but once in place and the cooler refitted I'm pleased with the results.

At desktop Hotspot temps only 3-4c hotter and in gaming 9-10c hotter compare to 20-30c previously.

Half hour well spent.

Back
Top Bottom