Random Restarts during windows installation and more

Soldato
so starting building a rig for my dad with some 478 and AGP components from OcUk and competitors on the cheap :p :

P4 2.4ghz 1mb cache 478
Asus p4-p800 X 478
1GB elixer ram
X800 256mb agp
Tagan 420 i XEYE (blue LED model)
Gigabyte pro heatsink (120mm fan)
80GB seagate Hdd ide
DVD drive

all brand new and put together and wouldnt get any post or bleep. so then fiddled and got beep and then it froze in bios a few times then i couldnt get anything working. got past that by resetting CMOS but now i install windows and it crashes everytime i finish installation or load up windows. i havnt actually got into windows itself yet... cant even get into safe mode.

have tried new ram and re tried cabling, even stripped it all down to bare minimum...just need to figure what it is. my cousin has suggested dud PSU or currupt HDD.. but its soo random i dunno, it can install windows fine sometimes and then crash others...

ANY thoughts will be appreicated!!!! cheers guys!

Might be PSU but tbh sounds more like hardware problemd to me.. possibly RAM? Perhaps your CPU is overheating?

I'm no expert though.

Last edited:
Def try another psu.Those symptoms you describe happened to me on an athlon chip that had burnt out,i`d reseat the cpu and paste.
One other thing to maybe try is update bios by making a bootable cd on your other pc,just did that for mate and cured his random reboots,its an issue with p4 prescotts and sp2.

mostly freeze, after clearing CMOS it sometimes restarts.... :confused:

i have never had this with pc building before, to be honest i have tried every trick in the book, even boot to cd so i can get around the restarts or crashes (freezes during the windows installation.)

Not sure your computer would freeze if it was a PSU tbh, I think it'd probably just restart or turn off...

Although I could be, and problem am, wrong about that... wait to see what someone else says.

As I said, to me it sounds like a hardware problem.. possibly RAM.

You're sure EVERYTHING that needs to be is connected and connected properly?

RAM and Graphics Card are seated properly, heatsink is sat properly and squarely on the processor, hard drive and optical drives are plugged in properly Etc etc etc.

yup, have tested new ram, and rechecked everything with a mate, i do this often but never had this problem...

i am borrowing a new PSU monday and will try that, if not, i think i got a duff harddrive.... :(

Is the xp install cd good? no scratches?.I`m doubting the hd if everything is new.You could try a substitute drive anyway but i`m thinking its the mobo.
I`d update that bios real quick because if the mobo is going to fail and no longer post it will soon..

Back
Top Bottom