Random shutdowns

Associate
Help!
I have just purchased an O/C "Ultima" computer with an AMD Athlon 64 3700 fitted with a GTX 7800 graphics card and have been using it with great success except for one irritating problem which I have spent the last few weeks trying to solve. If the computer is used for projects other than games then it performs perfectly however, when used with Toca2, CFS3, GTR racing etc the computer shuts down without any warning generally between 5-30 mins after starting the game. There is no indication that this is about to happen and when re-booted by pressing the push button on the front of the case Windows starts without initiating a scandisk etc and goes through a normal boot-up cycle.
I have visited manufacturers Web sites and updated the Drivers to the latest versions. I have up-dated Directx to the latest version as well. My initial research pointed to the fact that the memory may have a problem so I purchased a new set of Kingston equivalent and inserted that. To no avail the computer did exactly the same. I now have both the Giel and Kingston memory installed (2 GB) but still the computer shuts down randomly when playing an intensive graphics game. Checking the CPU temps etc these are generally between ~35-43 deg C when playing any of the games which, I would have thought, should be no problem.
Any body have any thoughts because this is somewhat irritating and spoils what is, without doubt, an excellent machine?
BrianF

Soldato
Sounds like the PSU is almost certainly faulty. Random shutdowns are the classic symptom. Faulty RAM or software issues usually cause crashes or restarts, complete power-offs are nearly always PSU related.

Back
Top Bottom