Random Standby Power-Off Issue

Soldato
I can't really say what happens here, as it's always when I'm asleep!

I put my PC (mainly used for Media Center) into S3 Standby when I go to sleep - the light on the front flashes on and off.

For the last few weeks, I've woken up to find the light not flashing. The whole PC is completely unresponsive until I remove the power cable for a few seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?! It's getting quite frustrating!

Admiral Huddy said:
Sounds like a short in the PSU?

Replace the "Kettle" lead and make sure all the power connections inside are tight and secure.
Even though I moved the PC home from Uni the other day, by coincidence I am using the same IEC lead. Will give it a change and see if there's any difference.

Nope, still did it last night. I left it on standby most of the day yesterday to see if it would happen - it didn't.

Put it on standby between midnight and 1am, and by 7.30am it was dead again.

I've checked power options to check it's not going into hibernate after a certain time, and it's not. Really at a loss here - don't know if it's a hardware or software problem!

I've just found this..
SYMPTOMS
When your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer resumes from hibernation (S4), or attempts to Wake-on-LAN from standby (S3) you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: • The screen is not displayed correctly, and garbled characters may appear.
• The screen appears blank.
• The computer stops responding.
The symptoms may vary, depending on what video adaptor is installed in your computer.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This problem may occur in one of the following scenarios:• You have Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.
• You have the hotfix that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article installed:
306676 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306676/) The computer cannot enter standby or hibernate if a Direct3D-based screen saver is running
• Your computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) has Wake-on-LAN enabled, and the computer resumes from S3 (standby) power state because of a network ping request, such as the request generated by a Remote Desktop (RDP) connection.

RESOLUTION
Hotfix information
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

LINKY

let me know if this helps..

Huddy

Last edited:
Sorry - been away on holiday. The KB article's problem sounds different to mine, but even so I'd hope it was fixed in Vista.

The fact it dies while in S3 pretty much rules out a software issue, as far as I can see. It has to be motherboard or PSU, I think. Got a spare motherboard, going to try that tomorrow.

It does sound like the PSU is just dying when system is idle.

Check the motherboard manufacturers website for any BIOS updates that might correct this. It might be worth updating the BIOs anyway.

Next, check the voltages. What motherbaord is it?

Voltages look fine, motherboard BIOS up to date.

I'm swapping out the motherboard today, and if that doesn't fix it i have a PC that's not in use that I'm going to pinch the PSU out of.

If both of those don't fix it, I'm really at a loss!

Back
Top Bottom