Rant: About noobs using on board SLR Flash

Soldato
We all know, on board SLR flash are *****. What annoys me is nubs who take their SLR or Canon 400D with their stock 18-55mm lens and pop the onboard flash out. They think the onboard flash is great and use it to show off and think they have the best photos out there!

We all know that onboard flash are no good and if your going to get some decenting just buy a flash gun and bounce the light around the room, not use the on board flash!

Star out all swearies please ~ Zefan

Soldato
OP
I'm glad my message is getting across to some people and its not just me who gets annoyed or embaressed who uses the pop up flash for day light situations and etc..... why is all i can ask. You might have just hired a amature photographier who doesn't uses the fill in flash for those shots.

Also another thing, it's just the light that people like to get the attention. I mean in my graduation not long ago, a bloke sitting at the top of the balcony with his DV camera had a bloody single LED light and it was shining on everone below. Who he was shining on i dont know but it couldn't have gotten much further than the person sitting next to them!

Soldato
OP
Ok I'm new at photography and as such I lack a lot of confidence in taking photos in public places. So using a flash to seek attention argument went out the window there.

I use my 400D on the manual settings and as such, I have to pop the flash when needed. Recently I was at a bar where a friends band was playing and the flash was needed because I have the stock lens and the aperture isn't large (think it's large not small, someone help me out here) enough I need to use the flash to get half decent results.

I would love a decent flash so if you like I will send you my paypal address and you can send some money over for me to buy one :D

Thats why you would need to invest in a quick lens like the nifty fifty or find a telezoom lens with a high aperture. The stock lens isn't good enough for everday situations. So my suggestion is just to get a POS camera as it gives you a better result.

Soldato
OP
Another great use for onboard flash is when you're travelling - I recently had a holiday in the US where I took my 20D everywhere and I used onboard flash a lot.

If I owned a Canon 5D or 1D series that don't have a built in flash would I carry around an external flash unit - no way!! I would leave them at home and pack my 20D.

Onboard flash = win :)

Can you show us some the photos you took with the flash?

Back
Top Bottom