Rant - London rent prices...

Associate
Now they are seriously getting silly. Why now you're asking? Well it's because I can't really afford it anymore.

I'm a second year uni student. For some reason I get hardly any loan because my Mum met some guy I don't know and so I can't afford to live in London unless I live with my girlfriend in a tiny box room.

I go through finding a place every year and prices just keep going up and up. I don't understand how greedy landlords can get. Not only do you pay huge sums for a single room but they are also awful. Budget with the GF is £1k a month and we're really struggling to find something we can live in. Personally I think two people would naturally work in a 4 bed house not one room but that may be because I grew up in the county in a big house.

Why don't you move further out I hear you say? Well I've looked at ALL options and generally the small savings you get for going a few miles out will be lost in transport costs. If you go to the other extreme of 30miles out you'll pay £400 a month for a railcard to get into London.

This is really ****ing me off as I've always utterly despised sharing with other people and have been 'floating' from place to place with all my possessions in boxes - it's really not nice. I think I want to get out of London but I still got two years of uni left at least. I might move to Sweden afterwards and get out of this country all together!

Rant over, please continue with your day ;). But really. How much further can they go?

Caporegime
Maybe you and your gf could look at transferring to a different university in a cheaper part of the country or world.

I expect the landlords will be just as greedy though /sigh. Sit next to two BTL landlords at work - they were moaning cos they now only get 20% tax relief on their mortgage payments (was 40%). Had to bite my lip as I get fkall tax relief off my mortgage payments.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's London, a capital city. What was you expecting?!?!!

Sure it's going to be expensive but how do you expect the people benefitting from this profits of ridiculous rent prices to get their coffee if the people who make it can't afford to be there!? It will get to that point in not so long.

Tea Drinker
Don
Genuine question, London is a big place, where are you looking, there's 200 odd 2 bed places in London either to let or recently let.

If I put 1 bed it just comes up with a gazillion shares.

UR845Fq.jpg

Associate
Lower your standards unfortunately. I moved to London and pay 2k a month for a 2 bed flat in Greenwich. If I was on less money than now I would be looking to relocate. I don't understand how people can live in London on the average wage.

Caporegime
Genuine question, London is a big place, where are you looking, there's 200 odd 2 bed places in London either to let or recently let.

If I put 1 bed it just comes up with a gazillion shares.

UR845Fq.jpg

Did you not see that large gap in the middle? You've made the OPs point for them.

As to the question of how much further they will go - home owners vote, and they also forget that an inflated market doesn't actually help them unless they are selling their property and moving abroad where the market isn't so crazy, or don't actually need a house. The government will do anything they can do prevent the bubble popping.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get hardly any loan because my Mum met some guy I don't know

The real issue here.

Screen_Shot_2015_08_22_at_21_34_18.png

Caporegime
It's one of those truths that you have to accept because you can't do anything about it. Life's like that sometimes. I suppose you either spend a lot of time getting upset about that and not solving much or you understand that your sphere of influence here is non existent and get the best place you can for a fair (in context) price.

Good luck :)

Soldato
Personally I think two people would naturally work in a 4 bed house not one room but that may be because I grew up in the county in a big house.
really..... there are families with multiple children (who work hard) who can't afford to do that outside of London. You're a student studying in London (bad choice of location in my opinion being the capital and all that :rolleyes:), you're not supposed to be living in a life of luxury.

4 bedrooms for 2 people, who will likely be in the same bed anyway is overkill, I can understand 2 bedrooms but 4.... and I live in the countryside and always had 2 rooms (bedroom and a room that was kind of my own space and or office) while growing up :rolleyes:

At uni I shared with other people and had one room, it's part of uni life. Lower your standards/expectations and you might find somewhere although £1000 a month isn't a lot in London

Soldato
That's not really studentville.

It certainly is capable of it in house shares.

To the OP, share 1 (or 2 rooms) in a 3 or 4 bed place. You should be able to get central within your budget then. My brother is currently renting a largish room in a large student house in Clapham for less then £400 a month.

Back
Top Bottom