1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant - London rent prices...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GSWAudio, Aug 22, 2015.

1. dowie

Caporegime

yeah tbh I'm not sure what the issue with a flat share is as a student - tis pretty standard

though a 1 bed flat is still feasible for the OP south of the river

2. Tunney

Capodecina

Have you tried looking for private rents rather than ones through estate agents? Some private landlords are dodgy but you'll save quite a bit of money.

3. darael

Mobster

I have to admit, I've never seen that before - that'll teach me to check the actual "properties" in future. :D:o

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

Depends a bit on the setup but as a relatively private person I'm not the most comfortable with house/flat shares. Fortunately not been in the situation so far to have to consider it.

As IIRC the OP mentioned to a degree going further out you have to weigh up the travel costs but from my own experience south of the river has plenty of potential if you are realistic.

5. dowie

Caporegime

I'm talking zone 2 or 3 - South East London

so travel costs will be the same - he could feasibly get a 1 bedroom apartment with an easy commute to London Bridge/Waterloo East/Charring Cross or Cannon Street

6. Pestilence

Capodecina

You think a 4-bed house would be the norm for two people?

What are you smoking? And can I have some?

Want to study and live in central London full time? Have rich parents.

Or flat share in a dive.

Otherwise, forget it.

7. lawrence281

Wise Guy

Yeah, you could be your own lanlord, and rent your own place to friends/people you know, and actually pay less than everyone else. Only downside is..youre responsible, so no fawk ups if they dont pay you! only people you trust

8. Rikk82

Gangster

1 or 2 bed flat is enough for a couple starting out.

Unfortunately you need to either lower your requirements, or move out of London.

9. GSWAudio

Gangster

Okay so the whole 4 bed thing? I think everyone should have so much more space I don't think it's right humans live in such cramped conditions and be told that's how it is.

10. Mr^B

Mobster

Moves to London.

Complains that humans need more space.

:(

11. Rikk82

Gangster

That's how it is unless you have lots of money (particularly in London).
    It is simply supply and demand.

12. mid_gen

Sgarrista

This is why I left the UK. Just emigrate, it's so refreshing to be away from the endemic British property insanity. Apart from all the other cool stuff about living somewhere new.

13. Marmot

Wise Guy

LOL four bed house for a student and his gf in London.

When you sober up you should consider a house share. I moved to London last year after graduating and found a decent sized room in a four bed house in Tooting for £500/month bills inc. I was on a pittance graduate salary of £22K. A year later I'm on 50% more and I can consider something marginally better. Maybe I'll have your four bed in Zone 2 in 20 years if I'm lucky.

14. Xordium

Capodecina

And did you like London and not look into the rent prices too?

When I worked in London I lived in a box room in shared accommodation. When you are young you suck it up. You are being totally unrealistic.

15. adolf hamster

Soldato

Jesus, i'm nowhere near london and i cant afford to rent a room in halls let alone privately, i'm having to live at home, driving a 15 year old skoda thats not too far from death and i can still barely scrape by with student loan+ money from parents and i consider myself well off (i can afford a car for a start)

16. aardvark

Sgarrista

you're only a student - you should really be house sharing like most other students.

And then when you graduate you can move out of the over priced dump that is london ;)

17. wesley

Soldato

sorry to be blunt

you are not rich enough to live in London. simple as that.

you'll have to go to different uni

18. Trifid

Sgarrista

He certainly is with £1k a month for rent. His expectations of what £1k gets you is very much devoid of reality.

19. lunar

Gangster

I'm sure the government can help with the expenditure. Afterall, they will invest supposedly £50 billion on the HS2 transport link, which will cut down transport from London to Birmingham by 20 minutes, wow; and I don't even like Birmingham.

20. antijoke

Caporegime

Lol a student living in a 4 bed house in London?

Check your reality at the door mate.

It's not just London either, there's some new houses here in a ****e location and the two beds are up for rent at £1,200 a month!!! It's a joke.