• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

@Grim5 - I don't need to prove it's unofficial. The rumoured specs don't even make sense, such as adding more e cores using the same 10nm process, when Alder Lake the 12900K already runs too damn hot with the 8 large and 8 small cores.

Y'all made up your minds way too soon, step off the hype train for a brief moment :)

How is discussing information a hype train exactly?

As for adding more e-cores, they are small and as seen already very power efficient vs the larger P-cores which are the main cause of the power draw. I guess it depends if they think it is a quick win, while getting 7nm ready.

Wow, this thread is crazy. So we know straight from AMD that Zen 3D will launch Q1, i am guessing announced CES and released in Feb, this is not a new generation, just a refresh. Also confirmed by AMD Zen 4 / AM5 will launch Q3, Q4 latest.

To much smoke out there to assume anything other than Raptor Lake being released, presumably around the time of Zen4

Also we know that Intel are currently beating AMD in performance but have lots of issues with compatibility and power / heat. In my opinion Zen 3D will regain performance crown and Zen 4 will pull further ahead, rumour is Raptor Lake will struggle to gain 10% over Alderlake so my assumption is Zen 4 will be a good chunk faster

Intel have so far only confirmed more Alder Lake CPUs and Sapphire Rapid server processors, for release in 2022.

I agree that based on AMD's claims about IPC, Zen 4 is very likely to be faster than Alder Lake. Additionally, 5nm EUV is a pretty large improvement in both transistor density and power efficiency, compared to the previous generation's 7nm process.

Intel has said nothing about a new architecture to follow Alder Lake in 2022. So, we can conclude that any improvements will be pretty small, if Intel does release an Alder Lake refresh in 2022.

I'm quite willing to accept that Intel may have a new architecture for 2022, but only if they themselves announce it first.

A new architecture on 10nm seems unlikely, since Intel tends to design new microarchictures for a new fabrication process. When they didn't do this with Rocket Lake (because 10nm was not ready for use in desktop processors at this point), the result was described as a 'Waste of sand', in comparison to the previous 10th generation processors.

Last edited:
Intel have so far only confirmed more Alder Lake CPUs and Sapphire Rapid server processors, for release in 2022.

I agree that based on AMD's claims about IPC, Zen 4 is very likely to be faster than Alder Lake. Additionally, 5nm EUV is a pretty large improvement in both transistor density and power efficiency, compared to the previous generation's 7nm process.

Intel has said nothing about a new architecture to follow Alder Lake in 2022. So, we can conclude that any improvements will be pretty small, if does release an Alder Lake refresh in 2022.

I'm quite willing to accept that Intel may have a new architecture for 2022, but only if they themselves announce it first.

A new architecture on 10nm seems unlikely, since Intel tends to design new microarchictures for a new fabrication process. When they didn't do this with Rocket Lake (because 10nm was not ready for use in desktop processors at this point), the result was described as a 'Waste of sand', in comparison to the previous 10th generation processors.

You've heard of Tick Tock right? This is what Intel used to do prior to 7th Gen. Release a mew architecture of the "Tick" and refresh it on the "Tock" providing modest performance gains. Raptor Lake Lake will be the "Tock"

Indeed, probably the most likely thing in my view, is a refresh of Alder Lake (with the same Golden Cove architecture) on the same 10nm process in Q3/Q4 2022. But nothing at all is also possible, depending on what AMD releases in 2022 (which despite AMD's roadmap, is far from certain).

What I was trying to say, is that it won't be the 'Raptor Lake' (with the rumoured specification + performance improvements) that some rumours have suggested will be released in 2022.

Last edited:
What I was trying to say, is that it won't be the 'Raptor Lake' (with the rumoured specification + performance improvements) that some rumours have suggested will be released in 2022.

So is that your get out clause even if Intel call it Raptor Lake, you'll say that was not what was intended, even if they just add 4-8 more e-cores?

I couldn't give a toss if they added some more E-cores to an Alder Lake refresh, that no doubt would run even hotter than the 12900K under load.

We are in an argumentative mood today aren't we :)

I couldn't give a toss if they added some more E-cores to an Alder Lake refresh, that no doubt would run even hotter than the 12900K under load.

We are in an argumentative mood today aren't we :)

Are you? You say one thing, then change your mind, then change it again. You started this thread to ask "Will Raptor Lake CPUs even exist?" you've been answered, and told yes it will, and you are the one arguing it won't as Intel have made no official announcement yet about it, when they don't ever announce right until they are due to do a proper full press release and launch.

Why do you even care if it exists, why make the thread in the first place? Are you willing to listen (read) and learn, or just ignore the answers you don't like?

@Journey - Dude, you're trying to make it personal, you're welcome to ignore what I've posted and make up your own mind.

One of the main problems I have with tech rumours, is the assertiveness and confidence that they are often put across, despite any credible sources, such as AMD, Intel or other related companies. Unfortunately, people believing these rumours often adopt this same attitude, apparently with no room for doubt.

One thing they might be able to do with an Alder Lake refresh on the same Golden Cove architecture, is add an improved memory controller, that adds gear 1 support for some DDR5 frequencies. That could boost performance somewhat, if it's possible.

Last edited:
Journey - Dude, you're trying to make it personal, you're welcome to ignore what I've posted and make up your own mind

Er, no I'm not, merely answering your questions and correcting your incorrect assumptions based on my decades of experience in the computer hardware industry.

It's fine having an opinion on something, but when you ask a question you'll usually get an answer, like it or not.

@Journey - Dude, you're trying to make it personal, you're welcome to ignore what I've posted and make up your own mind.

One of the main problems I have with tech rumours, is the assertiveness and confidence that they are often put across, despite any credible sources, such as AMD, Intel or other related companies. Unfortunately, people believing these rumours often adopt this same attitude, apparently with no room for doubt.

One thing they might be able to do with an Alder Lake refresh on the same Golden Cove architecture, is add an improved memory controller, that adds gear 1 support for some DDR5 frequencies. That could boost performance somewhat, if it's possible.
So if you dislike rumours so much, why did you even make a whinge thread about something you refuse to believe exists because Intel haven't said anything?

Methinks you're the one being argumentative with your continual flip-flopping.

I really don't understand why you find it so hard to believe that Intel will release a new CPU line in 12 months. That is literally what Intel's business model is, and their shareholders will lose their **** if Intel don't release something every year.

It's also quite funny how you appear to be fine with the concept of an "Alder Lake refresh", but Raptor Lake - which by its very description is an Alder Lake refresh - simply won't exist.

Mods, this is not a conversation any more, this is spurious drivel. I suggest locking the thread, there's nothing to be gained by it.

Funnily enough, I'm sure the moderators can act of their own accord without your input, but trying to shut down the thread is certainly a way to shut down someone else with a different point of view to your own, when you've nothing more to contribute yourself.

There's a link here for 'Raptor Lake' on Wikichip.org here:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/raptor_lake

As you can see, the page is empty. That's because the authors cannot verify any of the details of 'Raptor Lake', or even that it is under development.

It's a controversial topic for some people who've already assumed Raptor Lake + new architecture would be released, some disagreement with what I've written is to be expected, but it should be done with civility.

Last edited:
I've contributed plenty, and you've not answered anything I've asked. This is not about differing opinion, this is about an entirely unnecessary whinge thread that you seem totally unable to actually converse in. 4 pages of people trying to engage you and yet you just stick your fingers in your ears and bleat "blah blah blah but Intel didn't say so it's not real".

THAT is why I move to lock the thread down, you're just being childish and you've made your own damn thread a pointless joke.

it wouldnt be a bad thing though

if Intel skipped raptor lake and jumped straight to 5nm in 2022 then thats good for them and brings more pain for AMD

THAT is why I move to lock the thread down, you're just being childish and you've made your own damn thread a pointless joke.

Is this guy for real? Imagine being irritated by someone who doesn't believe a rumour about the specs of a product release, it's surely a joke right?

Maybe Intel should just buy AMD and TSMC, that would all Intel’s problems.

Not possible given how overvalued amd stock is.

USA Goverment would have bought tsmc itself 2 years ago if it could - the Taiwan government would sooner go to war than let TSMC leave

Back
Top Bottom