Raptor or RAID-0 7200s?

Soldato
My 2x250Gb RAID 0 7200.10's are better than the RAPTOR X in every way.

Price - as long as you already have a RAID controller.
Size - 500Gb vs 150Gb.
Speed - I saw about a 20% increase over 2 7200.10, and the 7200.10 isn't far behind the Raptor X.
Noise - Need I say more.
Heat - Those Raptor's are hot.
Relyability - Raptor X has a 0.7%AFR, One 7200.10 has a 0.32%AFR, ergo 2 in RAID 0 gives 0.64%AFR.

Hope this helps. ;)

Associate
helmutcheese said:
My Raptor seeks bit faster and louder and I turned of the Achostic Management function, also helps as case mounts drives in rubber so takes bit of noise away, I dont hope to be on these forever, there will be new Raptors someday.

I aint here to sell Raptors but aint gonna justify my purchase either, I do not mind constructive comments good or bad but not some "cough cough" picking up my grammar on a web forum, if that all he can do I can ignore him.
yep a few threads back they were picking on you for abreveations, i wonder why everyone picks on you ? its got me baffled

Soldato
lordfletch said:
yep a few threads back they were picking on you for abreveations, i wonder why everyone picks on you ? its got me baffled

Pointing out grammar/spelling errors seems to be what n00bs resort to when they disagree with you, but don't know enough to explain why.

Permabanned
Because Im new, there is some long time posters here who could do with a ban, I have been a long time lurker (years) only joined as did total rebuild and bought parts here, was kind of put of by some members, and have seen the warning threads twice so far but nothing is enforced.

The funny thing is, Im prob 2x their age, I have been out of school over 18years, have a English Higher Cert, but dont need to write much in daily life so out of practice and most of all I cant type fast+accurate, 1 or the other with 2 fingers.

From now on I simply set them to ignore, I am too hot headed to risk a ban on them. (being Scottish and all that) :D

Associate
was being just a wee bit sarcastic there bud ;) but i wonder if this forum is the place for a location of ,in your mama ,or maybe i have misunderstood the meaning ? oh and im scottish as well :D

Permabanned
No problem, you actually spoke up for me so not sure why you need explain yourself.

2nd part,Well someone had "In a House" or "In your House" so I made that up, and Im sure you know what it means. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BigglesPiP said:
My 2x250Gb RAID 0 7200.10's are better than the RAPTOR X in every way.

Price - as long as you already have a RAID controller.
Size - 500Gb vs 150Gb. Two drives versus one. Fair comparison.
Speed - I saw about a 20% increase over 2 7200.10, and the 7200.10 isn't far behind the Raptor X. Isn't far behind the Raptor X as a single drive, but if you've got two Raptors then the Raptors win again. What's your beef? Fair comparisons and all that.
Noise - Need I say more. Mine don't seem too much louder then my WDC 250 SATA drive, but granted, they are louder.
Heat - Those Raptor's are hot. Are they? Mine are no hotter then my WDC 250. Again, pointless comment.
Relyability - Raptor X has a 0.7%AFR, One 7200.10 has a 0.32%AFR, ergo 2 in RAID 0 gives 0.64%AFR. My two raptors are alsmost 5 years old and going strong. WDs RMA service is excellent. You're being petty.

Hope this helps. ;)

Yes you can get more capacity for the same money, same as cars. No one is disputing that fact. Raptor owners are disputing the fact that normal speed HDD owners are giving out false information to people who don't know much telling them that a good 7200 drive is faster then a Raptor. It's not. Fact.

You can get a fully kitted van with all bells and whistles for 22k, but for the same money you can get a Lotus. Horses for courses?

Soldato
MilanoChris said:
Yes you can get more capacity for the same money, same as cars. No one is disputing that fact. Raptor owners are disputing the fact that normal speed HDD owners are giving out false information to people who don't know much telling them that a good 7200 drive is faster then a Raptor. It's not. Fact.

Really?

Only one review, but certainly an eye opener. That aside - the argument was that, for the same money, you could get not only more storage, but also a faster solution - a good 7200 RPM sata array will give a single Raptor a run for its money without a shadow of a doubt. The only thing that's beyond question is the seek time - but that isn't the be all and end all of 'real-world' speed.

MilanoChris said:
You can get a fully kitted van with all bells and whistles for 22k, but for the same money you can get a Lotus. Horses for courses?

True - and that is always the bottom line - we can only help the OP to find the best solution for him - the decision will always come down to his choice based on the criteria he sets out. The problem comes when people (from both sides) start with "get product X, it's the best, end of." Unfortunately it's seldom that simple - as demonstrated above. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom