• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ray Tracing - Do we care?

Ray Tracing - Do you care?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Looking at the size of the bezel on the monitor in that video, its more likely to be one of the new 4K / HDR / 144Hz monitors from ACER or ASUS, so its possibly running @ 4K ???
Still, disappointing performance even at 4K

Soldato
Then it's a no from me - shinies for shiny sakes, and honestly makes no difference compared to some of the good quality "baked in" lighting developers have used up until now
Agreed, unless the cards have a big performance boost in normal games to warrant the price my money stays where it is.

Associate
Have to laugh at some of the comments on here about the RTX. If you *ever* thought that at this stage, the RT enabled games would render at similar speeds to existing non-RT rendering of games then you are really niaive in your expectations of the GPUs. I'm actually very impressed at the fps shown by the cards as a technological feat. ( whether thats worth it at the price - different story )

Associate
Have to laugh at some of the comments on here about the RTX. If you *ever* thought that at this stage, the RT enabled games would render at similar speeds to existing non-RT rendering of games then you are really niaive in your expectations of the GPUs. I'm actually very impressed at the fps shown by the cards as a technological feat. ( whether thats worth it at the price - different story )

Jensun.. is that you??? Where do you buy your jackets!

Associate
Don
It's easy to not care about things you don't understand.
Which would be fine, but I would argue that a lot of people including myself could see the benefits (proper reflections/refraction, proper "soft" shadows and simpler development), but given the demos currently shown then it does seem to be a case of dialling everything to 11 regardless of whether it looks "silly" just to show off the "new" technology,

Is the people who don't have a clue that are comparing it to gameworks and sounding quite stupid in the process.
Except it's currently looking like a similar situation - it doesn't apply to whole scenes (e.g. some unlit/unshadowed cars in the BF V demo), so is being applied selectively.

Ray Tracing is what Hardware TransForm & Lighting was in 1999. It will have hughe impact in correct environment lighting, shadow, reflections. Some didn't care about T&L in '99 as said it was hyped. Today it's an integral part of any GPU. Ray Tracing may be hyped today also, but it does make a difference.
It may well be huge when implemented correctly (e.g. complete scene raytraced), or even just when the artists figure out how to use it correctly (again BF V - cars shouldn't be shiny - they should be covered in dust etc), but the demos are currently underwhelming ("oh it's just a bit shinier") or the opposite of photo-realistic, with there being chrome or glossy objects everywhere for the sake of it.

Man of Honour
On a serious note one thing I really did not like about the presentation was when Jensen Huang joked about being able to buy that 69k workstation on 3000 easy payments, I though it was disgusting and very arrogant.

NVidia obviously don't care about their pricing or their regular user base if they are going to make jokes like that.

Don
On a serious note one thing I really did not like about the presentation was when Jensen Huang joked about being able to buy that 69k workstation on 3000 easy payments, I though it was disgusting and very arrogant.

NVidia obviously don't care about their pricing or their regular user base if they are going to make jokes like that.

Testing the water for Subscription-based GPU ownership :)

Associate
OP
Just thinking, and I could be very, very wrong about this. But, Are we sure that the resolution will have an effect on the ray tracing, what I mean is as the ray tracing is offloaded onto a separate RT core thing, and it may be running with a set number of rays based on how its set up in the engine, it may be that the resolution won't have much effect on the speed of the ray tracing stuff. So like it can only run the ray tracing stuff at ~40 FPS regardless of the resolution, so might run 4K just as well/badly as it runs 1080p.

As I said though this is a pure guess on my part based on a whole lot of nothing. But its a half way interesting thought.

Soldato
Just thinking, and I could be very, very wrong about this. But, Are we sure that the resolution will have an effect on the ray tracing, what I mean is as the ray tracing is offloaded onto a separate RT core thing, and it may be running with a set number of rays based on how its set up in the engine, it may be that the resolution won't have much effect on the speed of the ray tracing stuff. So like it can only run the ray tracing stuff at ~40 FPS regardless of the resolution, so might run 4K just as well/badly as it runs 1080p.

As I said though this is a pure guess on my part based on a whole lot of nothing. But its a half way interesting thought.
No idea, but it's too low regardless and will only get worse as games become more complex.

Don
But, Are we sure that the resolution will have an effect on the ray tracing, what I mean is as the ray tracing is offloaded onto a separate RT core thing, and it may be running with a set number of rays based on how its set up in the engine, it may be that the resolution won't have much effect on the speed of the ray tracing stuff. So like it can only run the ray tracing stuff at ~40 FPS regardless of the resolution, so might run 4K just as well/badly as it runs 1080p.

More pixels = more rays required, if I'm understanding it correctly, so will be slower the higher resolution you go

Caporegime
This has got to be a wind up surely.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p dropping to the low 30s at points?

I would expect my 1080ti to smash the hell out of this, let alone next gen.

Not when Ray tracing, yourb1080ti might be doing 6FPS etc.

Back
Top Bottom