• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Caporegime
RT in cyberpunk is something that has blown me away. Look beyond the bugs of the game and anyone who has run it with Raytracing on has to be impressed. Static screens don't do it justice in truth but playing in UW (3440x1440) had my jaw on my keyboard (normally one of my many chins) and turning RT off and back on brings a smile again to my face.

Now that the gentlemen's relish is wiped off the KB, prior to CP2077, Control and Metro Exodus were the showcases for me and I could see back then what a difference it could make. Soooooooo, Would you buy a GPU for Raytracing now? I understand AMD don't have it in CP2077 as of yet but they will, so would that sway your decision?

Caporegime
OP
No.

Even with a 3080 I don't think it's worth the performance penalty and I don't like the compromises DLSS brings in order to get the frame rate up (I can really notice the resulting noisy textures etc).

Maybe next gen.
Fair answer bud and I understand. It is a shame it does cost a chunk of fps but yea, future iterations will bring more advancements.

Caporegime
OP
Playing through Cyberpunk at the moment - Don't have an RTX gpu and don't really feel like I am missing out. TBH I am not buying with RT even in mind. TBH the game without some sort of scaling tech is a bit of a hog on even a decent system at higher resolutions. Am playing through at 3440x1440 native with a mix of settings and averaging somewhere around 50fps.
With RT on ultra and pretty much most set to high, I sit at roughly 55 fps roughly on a 2080Ti, which I was massively impressed with. There was a mission with so many people around, I had to turn RT off, as it was dropping to 15 fps at time but even with it off, I still got drops to 20 fps. The game does look sweet without RT in truth but with just makes me smile. I am old (50 next week), so maybe coming from the Amiga days and seeing the potential for RT back then, I am a little biased towards it but it is a game changer to me.

Caporegime
OP
Which Amiga's?

I had both a 500 and then a 1200. xcopy was the dogs!
Haha, damned pirate and like you, I had a 500 and then a A1200. I still have my 500 in the loft. I was also a little naughty back then and used bulletin boards for downloading games and hacking 0800 numbers for the calls.

Caporegime
OP
What blows me away is Crysis 3, and Assassin's Creed Valhalla with its insane depth of field and fidelity.

Ray-tracing can be substituted by classic lighting effects and gamers won't even notice the differences.
Nvidia tries to sell proprietary features for crazy prices.

No, of course not - ray-tracing is not needed.
Both Crysis 3 and Valhalla look great and great games. RT is the future though and it will cut down on development time and it will create natural lighting and reflections but it does take immense GPU power. Give it time though and things like DLSS make it doable and with ease.

Caporegime
OP
I love the RT reflections, lighting and shadows. Currently playing Metro Exodus and couldn't really say it is good in that but looking forward to the free upgrade. I understand most of it can be pre-baked in and look just as good but a game engine built from the ground up with RT in mind will do a much better job. Unfortunately, newer game engines take time to make and are very expensive, so for now, it is a case of add on's being the way we get RT.

Caporegime
OP
RT performance when you factor in DLSS is about on par with non RT/DLSS performance really. DLSS makes ray tracing playable, a very highly intensive workload in its infancy made usable due to advanced image upscaling technology.
Spot on that. No RT = 60 fps. RT = 30 fps. RT + DLSS = 60 fps. Better visuals and no loss of frames.

Back
Top Bottom