Razer Blade 15 factory undervolt causing BSODs

Associate
Hi all, bought my first Razer (Blade 15 Mercury White - i7 9750H, GTX 2070 Max Q) in mid Feb this year from Razer store in Vegas (I know, a bit rash as I don't live in the USA, I am based in the UK - but the discount and excitement got to me). Wasn't able to buy Razercare or extended warranty of any kind as they only issue 1 year international warranty.

I was getting repeated BSODs from day 1. These WHEA errors and BSODs persisted despite several clean windows reinstalls and even appeared as corrected hardware errors (by the CPU) in Linux.

So eventually had to RMA the unit to be repaired. They replaced the nvme SSD with a Samsung unit and giving the laptop some deep scratches on the metal body for added displeasure.

After getting the device back, the BSOD issue is still happening and I think I have discovered the problem. BSODs only occur at idle (both on battery and on AC power) and there are huge numbers of corrected hardware errors on system logs (up to 5-10 per second). My Blade 15 comes with a factory undervolt of -100mV on CPU and cache. That appears to be hardcoded via the bios. All stress testing, benchmarks, memory testing is fine.

When I use Throttlestop to reduce the undervolt, the number of corrected hardware errors in Win10 system logs reduce. There are no corrected hardware errors with no undervolt in place and much less with a smaller undervolt of up to -50mV. The issue with reducing the undervolt is that the CPU runs exceptionally hot in high performance mode - up to 95-100C even with full fan speed when running even mild benchmarks like Firestrike. This results in massive CPU throttling and poor performance.

Not really sure where to go from here as I am not able to really use this Blade 15 as intended without tweaking and when I tweak it with Throttlestop, it turns into effectively a lower end device performance-wise as the thermals are poor.

What would you do in this scenario? Ask for a new CPU? A new laptop? Persist with sending it back and forth to Razer? I haven't repasted the CPU yet. Considering some TG Cryonaut but not sure whether that will void any warranty.

To be fair, Razer support is ok if a little slow through submitting tickets and they returned the device within 10 days. Re: the scratches, they offered to give me a mouse for free (deathaddder v2) as compensation. Not sure I'll be buying another Razer device based on the above as it shows poor stability testing from the outset but the quality of the product could be great if they took more care.

Soldato
@alex_123_fra

I’d be seeking a refund, or at least a replacement.
That’s a lot of money to spend on a laptop to not be happy with it.

Hardware Canucks on YouTube mentioned that they suffered with BSODs on their Razer laptops until razer released a software update. So might be worth looking into that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@alex_123_fra

I’d be seeking a refund, or at least a replacement.
That’s a lot of money to spend on a laptop to not be happy with it.

Hardware Canucks on YouTube mentioned that they suffered with BSODs on their Razer laptops until razer released a software update. So might be worth looking into that.

Thanks Cohaashi, will check Hardware Canucks. Essentially it needs a new BIOS ROM to remove the -100mV factory underclock. Of course I know why they underclock these laptops - it becomes a thermonuclear/constant throttle device under any sort of load without it.

The latest is that Razer have "escalated" it to their senior tech support as I asked for a new laptop. Supposed to hear back within 48h and that was over a week ago. I really regret buying this. Normally, I only buy from Overclockers and prefer manufacturers with UK-based warranty. Lesson learned I suppose but probably have to go down the route of TG conductonaut liquid metal "paste" to see if I can improve matters - unless Razer play ball.

Back
Top Bottom