Re-build for cooling and 5000 series

Associate
Having decided I'm not happy with the temps my current build gets (build in sig), I am going to replace the case and hopefully build a better air cooled set-up - I don't know enough to risk water cooling.

I am leaning towards the Fractal Torrent and something like the Thermalright Phantom cooler. With some better fans and a bigger case, I'm hoping to bring my CPU and GPU temps down into the 70s (hitting mid to high 80s on both atm, though the current room temperature doesn't help).

I don't see any point in buying a 4090, given how close we are to the 5000 series, but are there any other components I should look to upgrade at the same time to future proof the build for that upgrade next year?

I was maybe thinking of a new mobo, but I feel like the rest of the build is fine for now?

I was maybe thinking of a new mobo, but I feel like the rest of the build is fine for now?
There would be no benefit in doing that, since it wouldn't be compatible with AM5 and if you went AM5, it wouldn't be compatible with your current CPU.

There would be no benefit in doing that, since it wouldn't be compatible with AM5 and if you went AM5, it wouldn't be compatible with your current CPU.

Would it make sense to upgrade to the 9000 series, with a new mobo and ram?

Would it make sense to upgrade to the 9000 series, with a new mobo and ram?
What do you use the PC for?

If gaming, there wouldn't be much point buying any CPU from what they have now, you'd need to wait until the X3D launches, maybe with the new motherboards in a month or two.

What do you use the PC for?

If gaming, there wouldn't be much point buying any CPU from what they have now, you'd need to wait until the X3D launches, maybe with the new motherboards in a month or two.

Just gaming. It's certainly not a necessity, I just like to have a high end set-up (mainly for FPS) and this build is starting to feel a bit behind compared to what others are doing.

Just gaming. It's certainly not a necessity, I just like to have a high end set-up (mainly for FPS) and this build is starting to feel a bit behind compared to what others are doing.
I see. I'd hang on for the 9xx0X3D, not much point upgrading anything now.

If I were to get the 9900X, what would be a good mobo and ram choice?
If the rig is mainly for gaming, I suggest you wait for the X3D cpu to come out which usually isn’t that long after the initial 9 series x cpu.

Minus the temps which is more f an annoyance, if it’s not causing performance issues while gaming I see no need in the urgency to upgrade

If I were to get the 9900X, what would be a good mobo and ram choice?
If you want a beefier VRM than the TUF B650-Plus, you could get the Aorus Elite.

Not many affordable 64GB kits in stock, do you want an upgrade, or just 32GB again? I'm not sure what an optimal speed for the 9000 series, but for 7000 it is 6000, as low latency as possible.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £826.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

If the rig is mainly for gaming, I suggest you wait for the X3D cpu to come out which usually isn’t that long after the initial 9 series x cpu.

Minus the temps which is more f an annoyance, if it’s not causing performance issues while gaming I see no need in the urgency to upgrade

Is there much of a performance difference between the X3D range?

I appreciate it's definitely not a necessity to upgrade and the temps are workable. It really does turn my office into a sauna though and I would love to be able to drop the temps (and fan noise) to a more manageable level.

If you want a beefier VRM than the TUF B650-Plus, you could get the Aorus Elite.

Not many affordable 64GB kits in stock, do you want an upgrade, or just 32GB again? I'm not sure what an optimal speed for the 9000 series, but for 7000 it is 6000, as low latency as possible.

My basket at OcUK:

Thank you for this. I was thinking I may as well upgrade to 64GB, to future proof the build.

If I get that, along with the case and cooler, and use my current PSU and GPU, that would all work fine until I can get a 5000 series GPU next year to complete the build?

My 2 cents worth of advice.

The 9900x makes little sense for gaming as the 7800x3d outperforms it , either get the x3d if you can't wait or as brother @Tetras advised wait for the 9800x3d and then the latest 800 chipset motherboards should also be available.

Thanks @mickyflinn I guess with the new processor and new motherboards being available soon (hopefully), it makes sense to wait. I hadn't realised the X3D makes that much difference to gaming performance.

or save a few pennies and get a good b650 motherboard like the Taichi or E-F Gaming.. as far as i can tell there is not much differences/ground breaking technology between the new 8 series motherboards and the older b/x6 series other than USB4 and PCIE5 as standard

My basket at OcUK:

is the 5600 mhz sufficient for a 9900x build? I'm looking at something very similar to upgrade my 3700x .

is the 5600 mhz sufficient for a 9900x build? I'm looking at something very similar to upgrade my 3700x .
It depends what you're doing with it. Some workloads are more sensitive to RAM speed than others.

With gaming, again it depends... If you play mainly CPU-bound games at lower resolutions then there's a bigger benefit than GPU-bound games at 4K.

If you're paying say... £30 for higher frequency and low latency memory then it is more worthwhile, but e.g. £70-£100+, you're likely to get more performance from investing that into a faster CPU or GPU.

Back
Top Bottom