Re-open the separate Linux/Mac forum debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

When Berserker was a don he said that it wouldn't happen anytime soon.. so don't all hold your breath :(

This was discussed between him and other dons FYI

Soldato
FWIW, I'd like to see it happen. I'm interested in the Linux/unix threads, but couldn't care less about any Mac posts - no disrespect intended to any Mac fanboys. When I view the 1st page and only see Mac-related stuff, I don't tend to stick around and go back to the console area instead.

Associate
AGAINST (with caveats)
I have both OS running (as well as XP) so would love the forum to stay together as it's only 1 forum to search but remove all hardware threads.

I can't see a seperate Mac forum being created. It doesn't profit OcUK in any way. (Unless they're suddenly going to become a Mac reseller ;) )

Associate
dirtydog said:
Nor do other forums like Motors or Speaker's Corner. I support a split :)

Aah, but those forii don't have the opportunity to damage the OcUK turnover. It's promotion of a competing hardware platform from the core business. How long before it's deemed a competitor?

Permabanned
If OcUK don't want Macs to be talked about then that's one thing. But while it is allowed, it is surely logical for it to have its own forum, with the volume of threads on the subject now. As far as harming OcUK's business, you could make the counter-argument that the current state of affairs in this forum is driving away Linux users who also shop at the store.

Soldato
deej said:
Aah, but those forii don't have the opportunity to damage the OcUK turnover. It's promotion of a competing hardware platform from the core business. How long before it's deemed a competitor?

You do realise that having a Mac doesn't mean you don't need hardware from somewhere like OcUK don't you? People with Mac's still need monitors, hard drives, and all sorts of other bits. Comments about damaging the OcUK turnover are just comical really.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
If OcUK don't want Macs to be talked about then that's one thing. But while it is allowed, it is surely logical for it to have its own forum...
For sure - unless Macs are seen as competitors and banned entirely it is only sensible to have their own forums. SFF has its own forum and Macs are a far more significant subject than SFF.

Associate
Matt said:
You do realise that having a Mac doesn't mean you don't need hardware from somewhere like OcUK don't you? People with Mac's still need monitors, hard drives, and all sorts of other bits. Comments about damaging the OcUK turnover are just comical really.

Exactly.

Even though I don't own a PC I still have Windows installed via BootCamp and have bought lots of different bits and pieces from OcUK.

Permabanned
I RTM'd the thread to bring it to Yewen's attention, in the hope of getting an 'official' response from the powers that be :)

By the way, what ever happened to Mpemba Effect?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah I did have a look at that the other day :) His two posts prior to that were May 2005 and Feb 2005. It seems so recent that he used to be a constant presence in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom