Re-open the separate Linux/Mac forum debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This is how the debate ended in last time in May/Jun:
Berserker said:
Please, quit with this discussion. The answer has been given and it's not changing. I realise some people will find that less than ideal, but there just aren't enough people around here to justify two forums.
Things have moved on now so I guess we'll have the split on the 1st Jan... to welcome the new year. Wouldn't want to rush into anything now would we!

Last edited:
Permabanned
iam said:
Indeed, loads of great members moved on because they can't be arsed trawling through the mass' of mac and beginners linux questions. I can't see the problem in having lots of sub-sections to enable users that want to talk about the more advanced nix subjects to have their place to do so, and those that need to seek advice to have a dedicated place to do so etc.

Heh I agree, thing is to do a split now would be pointless as it's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. May as well rename it to the Mac OS X as the numbers of Mac users has achieved a critical mass and appears to be increasing and there is a decent Mac community on here now, whilst like you've said the Linux users have deserted the place, I can only think of about 2 or 3 regular Linux posters. Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations of decent Linux forums? The Gentoo ones were quite good IIRC but I'm not putting myself through the agony of installing Gentoo again ;)

Una

Una

Associate
M0KUJ1N said:
Heh I agree, thing is to do a split now would be pointless as it's a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. May as well rename it to the Mac OS X as the numbers of Mac users has achieved a critical mass and appears to be increasing and there is a decent Mac community on here now, whilst like you've said the Linux users have deserted the place, I can only think of about 2 or 3 regular Linux posters. Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations of decent Linux forums? The Gentoo ones were quite good IIRC but I'm not putting myself through the agony of installing Gentoo again ;)

The arch ones ain't that bad - http://bbs.archlinux.org/

I just hang out more on freenode irc than forums these days, way too many linux noobs poping up who don't rtfm and its the same repetative questions.

Associate
M0KUJ1N said:
Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations of decent Linux forums? The Gentoo ones were quite good IIRC but I'm not putting myself through the agony of installing Gentoo again ;)

I still visit linux questions from time to time. Other than that I tend to visit the Gentoo forums and here (minus the Mac stuff this forum had quite a nice close(ish) community feel in the past which Gentoo forums & Linux Questions kinda lack for me).

I haven't visited the Arch forums for a while but I found that quite informative & interesting too.

Soldato
Urm... why are we still posting Mac stuff in here? :confused:

Can we please either rename this forum and give up on Linux / Open Source (a bad idea) or open a new dedicated Mac forum!

Permabanned
Must be still under consideration presumably - I wonder why it needs so long to make a decision? Oh well, here's a bump to keep the thread in the spotlight.

Man of Honour
OP
Yewen said:
If it split the linux section would be dead and we end up with another optical storage and writing.
Rubbish, the only reason why there are so few linux posts in this forum is because we are tired of flicking through the Mac posts (no offense Mac guys). This forum used to be plenty thriving before it got Mac'd and I'm sure plenty of linux users (both old and new) would frequent it. Did you not read the number of post in both this thread and the other thread? Surely it proves there are plenty of people interested? I have more than a couple of decent ideas for some stickys if this switches to a Linux forum, much more than "Which distro for a noob?" :)

Yewen, is that the official word on it?

Permabanned
Yewen said:
If it split the linux section would be dead and we end up with another optical storage and writing.
But the Linux section was far from dead before there was ever a single thread about Macs or OSX :confused: So it is hard to understand why you would think that.

Associate
Yewen said:

I really enjoyed posting in the Linux & Open Source forum before OSX came into it. I found the community knowledgeable and very helpful. The Linux section may have the minority of posts in this part of the forum but it would be far from dead. Without the mass of Mac posts it might even grow again - I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels they are being pushed away from this part of the software forum, thanks (in part) to a lot of Mac hardware threads.

I think the best way to make sure that the Linux section does start to die is to ignore the requests made by plenty of people for a split.

Soldato
Yewen said:
Naw, I think you're wrong... but no point trying to predict it. Lets try with two for a month and see what happens.

I propose this forum becomes:

Overclockers UK Forums > Software > Linux & Open Source

And the new forum is:

Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Apple: Laptops, Desktops, iPods & Software

Soldato
wush said:
Life section. :confused:
Yeah - 'cos "Apple" includes hardware, software and importantly iPods. One forum to cover the Apple ecosystem seems more sense then putting it in the existing Hardware, Software or Audio Visual sections.... Think of Apple like Motors or Phones.

Soldato
It is not going to happen and that is the end of it.

At the moment the OSX side of things is not strong enough to support its own section and neither is the Linux side of things, one good section is better than two dead sections and that is the end of it.

Will look into it again when Linux picks up but it is a no to the section splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom