Reacquainting myself with programming

Soldato
Hi all. Recently I've been pretty much 'forced' to get into development again. I used to code for fun years ago but this time I need to code. Reason being, I've started a business that's doubling in size every month and I just can't find ANY commercial business software that'll help me keep track of everything the way I want. I've spent weeks building a kick ass Excel file but with constant changing requirements it just don't hold up. Yesterday it pretty much collapsed under its own weight (or my shoddy skills caused it), rendering the data completely untrustworthy. My accountant is taking over all invoicing, payroll, returns, etc. But at a hefty hefty price. I'd let them for the time being until I've created a program that'll last. I've also explored using Access but I'd rather write something in C-sharp, build fancy but useful Window Forms and stick it on top of a database, preferably Access if it can be done?

Now, for my question. I'm obviously not going to learn all the nitty gritty again, I'd rather just copy code from online resources and only learn when I'm absolutely forced to. Which websites have a great catalogue of code samples I can use?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the insights guys. I can actually write code, maybe I weren't very clear there. It's just that I haven't done so for many years.

The reason for the constant changing requirements;

It's a new business and I'm still finding my feet. Today alone I got two new employees, both on different rates. This is in a new business I only started last week. Or a new division so to speak. Been chasing the contract for months and got given it suddenly when another firm dropped out. My spreadsheet didn't allow for 2 new employees. Nor for a new division. This is only a small example. I've also brought in one more business partner for the same division. I'm taking on company vehicles but aren't equipped to even take down mileage, fuel cards use, etc. Unless I create yet ANOTHER spreadsheet. For example, I'm also starting up a container hire business. Keeping track of container numbers, locations, size, length of hire, discounts, etc. You get the idea. I've only given highlights, it gets more complicated. I wish I could've started things more gradually but business is messy like that.

I did play around with Access templates this morning and it can possibly work. Will check it out further

Soldato
OP
I'd be very happy to buy off-the-shelf software but just can't find any that's extendable enough to fit into my requirements. SAP is a good potential but can't seem to download a trial version to check it out. I've also looked at Databuild, and a few other BPM packages but nothing fits. Very good for one business but nothing that caters for diverse multiple divisions that 'sometimes' overlap, but mostly not.

Soldato
OP
I'm actually in NZ but with ya on the regulatory stuff. I still can't believe how much of a paperwork avalanche it is simply employing someone.

Iv'e handed over all my payroll, GST (like VAT), employee tax contributions, etc to my accountant until I can figure something out.

Still keen on the idea of writing my own system, even if it takes me a year. I have this crystal clear vision of what I need and pretty sure I can do it. I'll run it parallel with all my other admin once in 'beta' to see if the numbers add up.

Soldato
OP
So I guess coding this myself is out :p

Saying that, I've already started designing a UI but realistically will probably end up employing someone to sweat all the details. Tax and GST (VAT) is all done by the accountant anyway so no major crisis there.

Back
Top Bottom