• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Real Temp and Core Temp reporting different temperatures from HWMonitor??

Soldato
OP
Thanks!

Just a bit of an information the CPU is an undervolted Xeon E3 1220,with Turbo switched off and max TDP set to 65W in the BIOS. I am using it in a SFF PC.

The thing is why I am fretting over this,if I use anything apart from HWMonitor I get acceptable temperatures when the CPU is under load,ie,around 65C when playing a game wich stresses all 4 cores. However,HWMonitor is showing nearer to 80C. The thing is the heatsink is warm to the touch but not scorchingly hot.

You can see HWMonitor is reporting 8C to 10C higher than the other packages.

Real Temp.

Temp1.jpg

Core Temp

Temp2.jpg

Tj. Max is set at 94C.

HWmonitor

Temp3.jpg

Tj. Max is set at 102C.

HWiNFO64

Temp4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks!

It seems even for the Xeon E3-1230 the Tj. Max is also 94C according to Real Temp:

http://www.*******.com/forums/index.php?topic=108402.0

For the SB Core i5 it is 98C from what I can find. However,for the Xeon E3 there is no information I can find anywhere and I even tried to have a look on the Intel website too.

The Xeon E3 CPUs tend to be rated for a slightly lower maximum temperature IIRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the replies everyone!

EDIT:

/Selffacepalm, I don't know how the hell I forgot to ask this earlier, have you always been using this CPU since before installing HWMonitor? or did you upgrade it afterwards? if you upgraded the CPU you will need to delete the hwmonitorw.ini file and let it generate a new one on next use as it will have the TJ.Max for your old CPU set in the config.

I did that and now the temperatures agree!! Thank you very much!! :)

I upgraded the CPU from a Core i3 2100 but HWMonitor was installed before this.

Back
Top Bottom