Really Confused > What Hard Drive?

Soldato
Hi,

At the moment I have a RAPTOR 40 gig Hard drive that I use for OS/APPS.

I need a bigger hard drive 40-80GIG. 50GBP to spend.

Problem is my motherboard (NF4 DFI EXPERT) does not have SATA2, but would it be worth spending the extra anyway for the future?

Any help appriciated.

Soldato
Ice Rich said:
Hi,

At the moment I have a RAPTOR 40 gig Hard drive that I use for OS/APPS.

I need a bigger hard drive 40-80GIG. 50GBP to spend.

Problem is my motherboard (NF4 DFI EXPERT) does not have SATA2, but would it be worth spending the extra anyway for the future?

Any help appriciated.
As far as I know (& going by my last purchased HD), all hard drives are SATA2 now. But they have a jumper to disable SATA2 features making them compatible.

TBH 40~80GB HDs don't make economical sense thesedays :confused: Get a Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA) for £51.11 incl. VAT & your'e sorted!

Soldato
OP
hp7909 said:
As far as I know (& going by my last purchased HD), all hard drives are SATA2 now. But they have a jumper to disable SATA2 features making them compatible.

TBH 40~80GB HDs don't make economical sense thesedays :confused: Get a Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA) for £51.11 incl. VAT & your'e sorted!

Sounds good - is that a popular choice then? would it be worth spending the exrta on a 16mb cache?

Thanks

Soldato
Ice Rich said:
Sounds good - is that a popular choice then? would it be worth spending the exrta on a 16mb cache?

Thanks
They are quiet compared to other drives (used to own a PATA one & I can attest to that) & a real bargain :)

16MB Cache might make a difference, how huge I don't know? But coming from a Raptor I'm sure you'll find everything much slower :(

Associate
harris1986 said:
I would recommend the new Seagate's 7200.10 250gb or the 320gb SATA2's i have the 250gb and it's pretty awesome!

Yeah good choice, stay away from the Maxtors IMO

Sorry to butt in this thread (it's related in a way:D) but do you need SATA2 specific data cables for it to work?

Edit: Nevermind read SATA HDD Sticky

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom