Really Simple Javascript IDE

Soldato
A friend of a friend is trying to learn a bit of client side scripting, and is having trouble with simple syntax errors.

Can anyone recommend a simple IDE with syntax checking. I've had a look at Notepad++ with JSLint, but the number of non error warnings is OTT for a beginner.

I'm just after something that will spot missing brackets, commas, semicolons and the like.

Intellisense would be a bonus too.

Associate
I would say Atom (atom.io) its free better then Sublime (In my view) and Free. Also it is built with javascript ;)

And there are 100s of plugins for it.

Associate
Personally I've not tried it, if I were you I'd use google chrome and get familiar at debugging with the developer tools (F12).

Not as quick as syntax errors right in your editor, but very helpful.

Associate
I've tried a couple of the suggestions Sublime Text and Atom. Atom looks nice, but I can't seem to get them to pick up on simple javascript syntax errors. Is this something I need to enable?

In Atom, Its a fairly basic text editor until you use some packages. if you go to File -> Settings -> Install -> Search jslint and install this will give you error reporting for JS.

Soldato
OP
Hmm. I have tried JSLine with Notepad++ before posting.

Unfortunately, it seems to highlight a whole range of problems which aren't critical. Formatting problems, and "undefined variable" errors for things as simple as "document", or "$". It's going to be very frustrating for someone trying to learn. Most of the tutorial/sample code online will throw up 100's of errors for perfectly valid code.

Maybe he'll have to stick with browser based debugging, but it's very backward for 2015.

Last edited:
Associate
Absolutely can't go wrong with Sublime Text, Atom or WebStorm. I use all 3 daily.

I usually use WebStorm for big projects, Atom for small projects or libraries and Sublime for single file editing or PHP (ew).

Back
Top Bottom