Really weird problem, any idea's?

Associate
I was playing new tomb raider earlier 1360x768 everything full. Had a 220FSB taking memory with it, but graphics locked at stock. Computer suddenly BSOD'd and i could hear that graphics card fan had powered down. Crap i thought i've fried something.
Held down power button on case to switch it off... hmmm it's not switching off. Pull the power chord...
Opened up the case to have a look and see if i could see anything untoward.. gave it a 10 minutes to cool down, plugged power back in.. Computer powered on straight away without me putting the power on?!? weird.. but then I noticed CPU fan and GPU fan both not spinning.. no warning beeps, just casefans spinning and hdd's powered up, checked also cdrom drawer was functional.
At this stage i wasn't sure what was wrong then i thought, this is a lot like when you forget to plug in the 4 pin 12v cable. I unplugged it and plugged it back in again... hmmm, nothing. When power was still plugged in and it was on, but no gpu fan or cpu fan spinning i gave the 4 pin 12v cord a wiggle and zoom, the cpu and gpu fans powered up??!
I hit reset and the computer booted up.
I halted it in bios and gave the cable another wiggle while it was on... bam BSOD... fans both stopped spinning...
OK i'm thinking, bad connection there somewhere? But then i think, well the case was all closed up and sitting on it's own when i was playing tomb raider so i couldn't have nudged the cable then. It certainly seems to be a power related problem
Any advice, etc, would be greatly appreciated cos i'm pretty much stumped.. it's certainly a new one for me.
Just for the record i tried resetting the bios before i figured out the power wire, and that didn't have any effect.

Well i pinched a really cheapo power supply (400w) out of an old case. And it seems to be working fine.. I notice that it's also getting 12.03V when the old 450W was only getting 11.71V So i'm thinking that PSU must have been on it's way out... Still i'm not to keen on running a crappy PSU in my machine. I'm thinking I will probably order a Hiper Type R as they seem to be really good VFM and since they are 580W and i'm obviously needing under 400W there should be no probs..

Back
Top Bottom