Realtek Digital Output

Associate
What are you plugging into it? I assume 'the bog standard one' means the regular, 3.5mm analogue headphone socket?

You'll need a separate DAC, or receiver/speakers with built-in digital converters to use digi out. If you're plugging phones or standard speakers in, then yeah, you won't hear anything...
Not trying to sound condescending; your post is a little light on info!

Soldato
Digital out is when you're using the optical output. It's the grey jack, labelled S/PDIF:

hXBslsJ.jpg

If you have nothing plugged into it then of course it won't work, since most speakers uses the 3.5mm jack instead which is what you refer to as the "bog standard" one.

Associate
OP
What are you plugging into it? I assume 'the bog standard one' means the regular, 3.5mm analogue headphone socket?

You'll need a separate DAC, or receiver/speakers with built-in digital converters to use digi out. If you're plugging phones or standard speakers in, then yeah, you won't hear anything...
Not trying to sound condescending; your post is a little light on info!
Well it sounds like you are more or less right, when I look at the digi output it actually shows that it is working as you can see the lines moving up and down but no sound, also there is a red lazer on the back of the mobo trying to get out but it is being blocked by something.

Associate
OP
Digital out is when you're using the optical output. It's the grey jack, labelled S/PDIF:

hXBslsJ.jpg

If you have nothing plugged into it then of course it won't work, since most speakers uses the 3.5mm jack instead which is what you refer to as the "bog standard" one.
I don't even have the 4 colors I ony have the black one and the square one on the right which is the digital. Can't even have 5.1 on my gigabyte 12th gen.

Associate
In order to get 5.1 sound working on my Gigabyte Z690 board I had to install some hacked drivers to re-enable Dolby (my receiver only works with optical).
It was a pain to install but it works fine now.

Soldato
I don't even have the 4 colors I ony have the black one and the square one on the right which is the digital. Can't even have 5.1 on my gigabyte 12th gen.
That was just an example, of course it will vary what ports motherboards will actually have and they may even be coloured differently.

How about you actually list the motherboard you're using, the speakers too, and if it's actually connected to the digital S/PDIF port with a TOSLINK cable? You're not making it easy for us to help if you don't tell us the essential details.

Associate
OP
I already did explain the essentials in my other posts, it’s straight forward and it has already been resolved, I need a sound card with the 3 jacks on it as my crappy mother board does not have them. If you are going to help read the beginning of the thread don’t just dive in and say silly things

Associate
Associate
OP
Yep that’s what I’m doing right now putting up with the single line out for the stereo sound, the only hdmi port that I know about is for the monitor, I think they are trying to make the 3 jack ports obsolete I mean it’s a new gen board ffs.

Associate
Gigabyte elite z690 ax
Cheers.

So you have 5.1 speakers yeah?
But you dont have analogue on the motherboard to connect to your speakers?

That does indeed suck.
Either new speakers or new sound card time.

I would choose new speakers for the reliability and resistance to interference of an optical connection which your motherboard would pump out 7.1 over optical.
Natural progression I guess.

Back
Top Bottom