Reasonably priced TSA luggage

Soldato
Hey all,

Going to USA in November and am needing a new suitcase as the one I have currently is only a "medium" sized case and won't be big enough.

Needs to be big enough to store a weeks worth of clothing, MTB Gear (Helmet, pads, shoes) as well as a Dji Spark Drone.

As much as i'd love a high end suitcase which could last me a lifetime, I just cant stretch the budget that far :(

Any recommendations for something which is good bang for buck, and a matching carry on sized case would be a bonus as well! :)

Cheers :D

EDIT: Anyone used Tripp luggage?

While this is a tad over budget, I don't mind spending a bit more for something that will last for years to come.

https://www.tripp.co.uk/tripp-olive-superlock-ii-4-wheel-large-suitcase/p3122

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just about to say tk maxx.

I have twice over the years bought a set of expensive luggage and both times it didn't last. I travel masses for work and now just go to tk maxx and top up as needed. The least hard wearing stuff I have ever had was Brick's which was mega expensive and looked nice but flimsy.

Recently I bought a couple of branded cases from tk maxx for a fraction of the cost and as such doesn't matter if they don't last but so far doing better to be fair!

Man of Honour
why get TSA luggage? basically not having a lock at all as the master keys of the TSA locks are plastered over the internet
i'd rather get a normal luggage bag and then a separate TSA padlock which you can use instead of the normal lock.

Soldato
why get TSA luggage? basically not having a lock at all as the master keys of the TSA locks are plastered over the internet
i'd rather get a normal luggage bag and then a separate TSA padlock which you can use instead of the normal lock.

Why would that make any difference? If someone bought a master key they'd get into either of the suitcase lock or padlock.

I actually prefer putting cable ties as locks on hold luggage. They can cut it and check if they want and I would know if they have.

In addition to a TSA lock? A cable tie would only let you know if someone had been in there, but you could also tell when your stuff has likely been packed differently.

Man of Honour
Why would that make any difference? If someone bought a master key they'd get into either of the suitcase lock or padlock.
that's exactly the point. with a non-tsa luggage, you can use the lock when travelling to other countries with less fear that your luggage can be tampered with - and still use a separate tsa lock when travelling to the usa - just don't lock the non-tsa approved lock...
whereas when you travel with a tsa approved luggage...literally anyone can open it
(of course that being said, you can still use a separate lock when travelling to other countries with a tsa approved luggage...but that defeats the whole point? lol)

Caporegime

In addition to a TSA lock? A cable tie would only let you know if someone had been in there, but you could also tell when your stuff has likely been packed differently.

No, my hold luggage don’t have TSA locks, I don’t keep valuables in there, so cable ties works just fine.

Soldato
They're really bloody good. I've never had a better case. When travelling a lot, in one year I went through 4 cases (airport damage on 3 and one was obviously kicked off by airport but wheel ended up coming off when pulling it) and they were anything from 50-150 euros each. Had my Rimowa for 6yrs no issues at all. Great warranties... would 100% recommend them.

Can't type for toffee
Don
As above, kepe an eye on. Tkmaxx and hotukdeals.

We recently swapped out our old suitcase style carry on for a pair of the cabin max xl backpacks and I think they're awesome. Maximum size for most carryon but as some airlines do different sizes I'd check ahead.

Really don't see the point in the hardcase type ones lost count of the number of times I've seen them coming off the luggage collection with massive cracks/dents/holes in them.

As for the more expensive ones with super secure locks... Surely just makes it more of a target? I've not once had anything go missing from my suitcase and the usual "locks" I use are simply zip ties haha added benefit is that I cna do it as we check the cases in to check weight and then "lock" them within a few secs.

Saw a video a while back in which they got past all of these locks type devices within a few secs by simply forcing the zip teeth apart with a pokey thing. Never bothered ever since

Soldato
I never quite saw the point in expensive luggage that’s going to spend its’ life as hold baggage. Unless you can afford private jet flights, your hold bags are going to get a beating every time you travel.

Find a good deal on some Samsonite plastic hard luggage in a lurid colour. You can buy spare handles and wheels for them, you can spot them a mile off and no-one’s going to take them by mistake.

I have a Kawasaki green Samsonite case that I was given yonks ago and ten years of frequent air travel have failed to do any significant damage to it. It’s scarred, scraped and has a bunch of stress marks in the plastic, but it still shuts, locks and rolls along smoothly.

Soldato
OP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MW799ZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered this few hours ago coming tomorrow. 8 wheels is the main reason I wanted it.. my previous suitcases all had the wheels wear out till I was literally just dragging it across the floor.

Let me know how you go with these, like the look of them and price isn't too bad! :)

I never quite saw the point in expensive luggage that’s going to spend its’ life as hold baggage. Unless you can afford private jet flights, your hold bags are going to get a beating every time you travel.

Find a good deal on some Samsonite plastic hard luggage in a lurid colour. You can buy spare handles and wheels for them, you can spot them a mile off and no-one’s going to take them by mistake.

I have a Kawasaki green Samsonite case that I was given yonks ago and ten years of frequent air travel have failed to do any significant damage to it. It’s scarred, scraped and has a bunch of stress marks in the plastic, but it still shuts, locks and rolls along smoothly.

I'm a lover of lurid coloured suitcases, my current cheapy amazon "medium" suitcase is a neon green, can see if a mile off :p

Back
Top Bottom