Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Associate
Hi,

I run my OS (win7) my an SSD, but recently tried to partition an HDD so that I could boot from windows 10 off the partition. This did not work and I have not been able to use my computer properly since. I have disconnected the HDD from the motherboard to prevent it from interfering, but even with this disconnected I’m in a constant state of crash/BSOD followed by the message, “Reboot and Select proper Boot device”, I’m even unable to access boot menu and BIOS as my keyboard will not work during the boot phase (it is still lit up though). Occasionally the computer will boot only for it to crash again within a minute or so of turning on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
Try a USB2.0 port if not already. Some gaming keyboards have a BIOS function switch on the back which should make it more compatible at boot. Failing that you may need to try another keyboard.

Associate
OP
Try a USB2.0 port if not already. Some gaming keyboards have a BIOS function switch on the back which should make it more compatible at boot. Failing that you may need to try another keyboard.
Thanks, I’ve used the BIOS function and managed to get the computer started however within a minute again I’ve had BSOD. However I’ve managed to get into the BIOS upon reboot, any suggestions now?

Cheers

Soldato
Can also try setting bios to defaults
Though it's a bit unclear exactly what you did?
How did you try to partition it?
Did you start installing windows to the hdd?
If so yes Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /rebuildbcd
From command prompt may be an option

Associate
OP
That's correct. Right, if the BIOS can't see the SSD at all that's an issue! I would re-connect both the power and SATA cables on the drive to rule out a bad connection.
I’ve reconnected the cables and managed to get in. However I’ve got BSOD again and the SSD has disappeared from the boot options.

Back
Top Bottom