Rec : a small portable video player....

Associate
Would like something to view some video / tv series etc while at work.

Had a psp for a while - was good for video to be honest (good screen) but werent keen on the games.... so sold it

What is good quality around now ?

dont want another psp - have got a Rio carbon for music... but would like something to maybe replace music and video ...

thoughts guys ?

thanks for that rich... maybe costs a bit too much not sure...and maybe too big..

also turned up the Creative Zen vision (also theres Ipod video I believe thats similar...)

havent actually seen these in the hand yet - can probs check them out at the weekend ...I bought GF the first Ipod (30gb) one - was never too keen on it .... I guess the new ipod video is just the same with better screen and of course can view videos ?

Anybody got comments on the Ipod video / Zen vision...

Screen size too small?
pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.
;)

My mates' Ipod Visions are pretty bad tbh.

Takes a while to load videos and they've had a few problems with them. Also they need some wierd format apparently.

I'm guessing the vision will be as good as the Zen (B+W music player) which was amazing :) so I reckon it should be good.

Check out reviews.cnet.com for a review.

I'm looking to get an iPod Video 30GB. One of my friends from school has one and its fine. I'm not sure how easy it is to get the videos on there but he told me he had a bit of trouble with it. He isn't the most computer literate of us all but he isn't a noob.

hmmm also found the Zen Vision (not the M) - bigger screen and costs a bit more.... and then theres the Archos Gmini500 for about the same price.

Think Ive ruled out the Ipod - poor battery for starters and may as well get a bit bigger screen...

if anybody has the Archos 500 or Zen vision - your pros and cons would be cool... while I search for some more reviews... thanks for the above fellas.

naffa said:
I'm looking to get an iPod Video 30GB. One of my friends from school has one and its fine. I'm not sure how easy it is to get the videos on there but he told me he had a bit of trouble with it. He isn't the most computer literate of us all but he isn't a noob.

Yeah think they play less formats than the other players.. maybe thats his trouble ?

Are you looking for a multimedia player or an mp3 player with video capability like the ipod? Multimedia players are usually bigger because they have a bigger better quality screen. Your much better off going with a multimedia player for video, an ipod video is for if you want music first and video as an extra feature for say music videos. Its format support is poor and its got a tiny screen, I wouldnt reccomend it if your thinking of watching films on it, It doesnt have a tv tuner either like most multimedia players.

Last edited:
yeah see where your going ... something to watch video on at work / holiday - tv shows and films etc...and of course play tunes as well - so mainly the video I suppose.

have a rio carbon at the mo which is fine ... but would like the video option - dont want something as big as 7" dvd player... so I guess the above seem about right... just not sure which to get ... have ruled out the ipod tho...

A pda might not be a bad idea, they have 3.5-4" screen and offer a lot of other functions.

A Mustek PVR-H140 (40GB) is about £180, 3.6" screen and a tv tuner.

Archos AV 400 20GB is about £215, 3.8" Screen.

Creative Zen Portable Media Center 20GB, £240 3.8" screen.

Archos Gmini 500 40GB, £240 4" screen.

ZEN VISION 30GB is about £295, 3.7" vga screen.

Archos AV 700 40GB £310, 7" Screen and tv tuner.

Last edited:
I've recently got the GMini 500 - initially to back up photos whilst away

The screen clarity is superb, sound isn't too shabby either (haven't tried the supplied headphones, mind)

Plays Divx/XVid with MP3 audio, WMV, WMA (even protected), MP3 - does the job wonderfully

I have the AV500 and was a decision between that and the av700 but went into a hight street store and saw the av700 and its massive. The AV500 is awesome its a perfect size, ie around the size of an ipod video or a bit smaller. Has awesome picture quality, works on my mac and pc, can get stuff of the Tv dvd or sky box with the tv cradle. Only thing about it is that the speaker is crap and its only worth listening to with headphones. Btw its worth looking at the high street store as u'll only find the 30gb and 100gb models online but i found the 60gb one for not too bad a price.

Heh i got a 1GB Video player from Hight street shop for £50. It doesn't really handle too many formats of video files but handles most of the major ones, besides a encoding program could sort out that problem... but anyway it has a nice screen and comes with output cables to connect it to a TV and when it does the picture is perfect and the sound is too... The only problem I have with it is the 1GB storage but thats really enough for about 3 hours worth of video which is about as much as i'd need in the space of time that im not in front of my computer anyway =p

Well i would suggest it for the budget option, its very small but has a screen about the same size as a Video Ipod. I havent seen it on the net as of yet but keep an eye out for Vizo products...

Last edited:
Andre said:
I've recently got the GMini 500 - initially to back up photos whilst away

The screen clarity is superb, sound isn't too shabby either (haven't tried the supplied headphones, mind)

Plays Divx/XVid with MP3 audio, WMV, WMA (even protected), MP3 - does the job wonderfully

thanks for the input fellas - hmmm now Im turning to the idea of a Gmini 500.... when you say you back up photos while away - what do you need.... I got a little Sony W12 Cybershot (does video) and a couple of 2gb cards... would be cool to back those up while away... how do you backup onto the Gmini - what do you need?

and for playing Mp3 - are we talking as good a quality as an Ipod ?
I use Shure phones anyways.. so not bothered about what you get with it.. they are all usually pretty rubbish I guess.

conuk said:
thanks for the input fellas - hmmm now Im turning to the idea of a Gmini 500.... when you say you back up photos while away - what do you need.... I got a little Sony W12 Cybershot (does video) and a couple of 2gb cards... would be cool to back those up while away... how do you backup onto the Gmini - what do you need?

and for playing Mp3 - are we talking as good a quality as an Ipod ?
I use Shure phones anyways.. so not bothered about what you get with it.. they are all usually pretty rubbish I guess.

The GMini500/AV500 are USB-Host devices, so basically you plug either a card reader (with the card) or the camera itself into the Archos and it then presents you with a little two-sided browser that allows you to transfer files either way (so if you have a small MP3 player with usb, you can update the files on it whilst away ;) - saves carrying the Archos around just for listening to music)

Haven't personally used an iPod, so cannot comment on the quality comparison, but it sounds great to me. Go into a high-street store and ask to have a listen - take your own 'phones so you get a real-life comparison (see if they have the same bit of music also)

this is the problem you see... Im happy with my Rio Carbon for Mp3 (using Shure E2c`s) - but would like to view some Tv series or something while at work......another feature would be to upload pictures etc on holiday to the device..... but I guess this would only be used a few times a year.... decisions decisions.....

I read that the video is better on the Vision M and Vision.... but the Gmini 500 does the uploading option.... but gmini aint all that with the sound quality - apparently.

For some reason I just dont like the ipod - maybe cause Im sick of hearing about them I dunno....

I also hate the fact that paying £300+ for a device with a `one time battery` is a bit of a killer.... (Archos/Creative...)

so cant make my mind up - I guess a device with good mp3 sound - can happily watch a film/tv program - and upload from my camera is what im after....

Hard decision.

Back
Top Bottom