Received a parking ticket when moving house

Soldato
Hi all,

The removal firm I used to move house with recently received a parking ticket on their van while we were packing it. Apparently the person that wrote the ticket waited for the removal guy to head inside, at which point he put the ticket on the window and walked away.

Note:

No visitor bays available
Close access to flat entrance needed as carrying heavy items
We were obstructing 2 parking bays, which aren't being used and I checked with them before hand anyway

We weren't blocking in any cars, no safety issues etc

This is the 4th ticket I've received in a year here, though the last 3 were friends parking when no visitor bays available (got ticketed at 12PM at night once!)

Could someone please point me in the correct direction to help dispute it? Not entirely sure what they expected me to do - it's a moving van, so it wouldn't have even fit in a space

It's a private company - CPM

Many thanks

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If you're not wanting to ignore, sounds like you shouldn't, then send a letter and any evidence explaining the circumstances and ask for the ticket and fine to be waved. If they refuse, take them to court, the judges are human and I'm sure will understand your argument if it is as you have described.

Soldato
there's no provision for a loading/unloading exception ? ...ie van wasn't left unattended longer than it took to carry down washing machine/bed etc

(not helpful - but in retrospect given the history and pre-checking bay owners ... should have contacted CPM )

Man of Honour
Need more information really but sounds like one of those situations where you should really contact the parking firm or council ahead of time to get permission to do that for the purpose of removal. Though I doubt they would have much sympathy in court especially if the users of the other parking spots had OK'd it if the reason was moving out.

Soldato
OP
Are there signs up stating ticket will be given?

Yep, but no choice to park where we did when moving. We used the back entrance to the building to minimise safety risks, which is the same place all other 57 flats in the building use to move in and out. Can't imagine people get a ticket every time :/

Isn't this the removal firms problem?

I said I'd sort it as he worked incredibly hard and was very reasonably priced :)

Need more information really but sounds like one of those situations where you should really contact the parking firm or council ahead of time to get permission to do that for the purpose of removal. Though I doubt they would have much sympathy in court especially if the users of the other parking spots had OK'd it if the reason was moving out.

In hindsight, yes probably should have, however on the day of moving (Saturday) they were closed so I couldn't inform them on the day. Council have previously told me they have no involvement on the estate.

The whole thing is a nightmare - approx8 visitor bays for 250+ flats and they're consistently used by people that own 2 cars, as there's only 1 space allocated per property

Last edited:
Soldato
I said I'd sort it as he worked incredibly hard and was very reasonably priced :)

Nothing to do with you.

It's not your van that got ticketed.

And to be honest, the person who got the ticket and handed it to you is foolish because for all he knows you might just screw it up and throw it away and he then might get more financial action against him.

I just re-read your OP. Why are you saying you got 3 other parking tickets when its your friends that are getting them? The only thing you can do is offer to pay them. You can't start fighting the ticket because its not yours to fight.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This "removal firm" is it a mate with a van?

I honestly dont see how its your problem. If this kind of access/BS was potentially know before hand then the firm should have arranged for inconveniences fore hand and charged those potential expenses onto you.

Soldato
Visit moneysavingexpert forums, loads of help on there for parking tickets.

If you appeal it you may get off with it, but it depends what all the signage says.

How much is the charge ?

Soldato
Appeal it. Write them a letter within the time constraints and include all the reasons for why you had no other choice and how they are being wholly unreasonable. I wouldn't fear their intellectual come-back too much, don't give them too much credit - when I appealed a wrongfully given ticket, the letter they wrote back to me was clearly written by somebody who had an F in GCSE English. It went something along the lines of "Dear Sir, we realise that we gave you the ticket by accident and it was wrong. the matter is closed" - all with size 16 comic sans font...

Caporegime
Appeal it, well, tell your van man to do so - I’ve had numerous tickets for parking whilst unloading (a 54’ long HGV) and only lost one appeal because I was asleep in the cab at the time whilst the forklift driver was having his dinner :o

If you have photos to help show your loading/unloading at the time rather than just parked then it’ll help.

Ultimately though, loading or not your still effectively bang to rights so don’t assume you’ll get a positive outcome.

Back
Top Bottom