Received an offer to buy my domain

Soldato
Out of the blue I have received an offer of £750 for a domain that I registered and have been using for 16 years now. Some Googling suggests that the offer and person are both most likely genuine and I can see why they would want the web address in question for the product they are looking to promote.

There are issues in that it will be a pain to move to a new domain name (and I know that doing so will annoy some people) and also that the email account associated with it is one through which I receive a fair amount of personal email.

Any thoughts please as to what I should be considering before responding to the offer?

Any advice as to how you calculate the value of a domain name?

Cheers!

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the input. Another issue is that some people could expect a cut of the money. The website is registered to me and I have always done all the work on it and am currently paying all the associated costs. However, as the content relates to a joint project I can see the potential for an argument. Just another factor to weigh up...

Soldato
OP
All the more reason to make sure that you get a good price if you decide to sell, then you can afford to give your content provider(s) a cut of the proceeds. If you intend to re-badge the site you'll likely want them to stay on-board, so best to keep them happy. I wouldn't rock the boat at this point though, but if your negotiations with a potential buyer get more serious it would be a good idea to keep everyone involved informed.

Oh they aren't content providers or direct contributors - to be honest they are barely up to managing the odd Facebook post. :D I've done all the work relating to creating and maintaining the website. and their (passive) interest is only that it promotes the thing we do. However, you can guarantee if I tell them it's changing domain name because I've sold the old one they will convince themselves that they are all entitled to a share - even through I will do all the work relating to getting a new domain and moving the website. Because, money :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom