Recommend an editor to split mpeg2 videos.

Caporegime
Hi there,

Ive recently started to convert a bunch of old VHS camcorder tapes to MPEG2 using a USB grabber thing.

I want to split the 7gb - 3hours worth, roughly, output files into scenes as they are originally recorded.

Im really struggling to find a free tool that will easily allow me to do it without huge amounts of faffing

is there anything where i can just point to a start and end time "copy and paste " that section then save it as a new mpeg2 file...
something along those lines.

Right now i have to cut off the whole video to that point and cut off the whole video after, then it seems to save the file by exporting the whole thing out at a reallllllly slow pace, like is converting it again.

very frustrating,...

thx

Soldato
You will have to "convert it again" (re-encode it) no matter how you go about it, but if it's just a single time thing you could just get a trial of Premiere and ignore 99% if it's functionality.

Associate
There are some tools like Avidemux which can split mpeg files And not have to re-encode the output ( its called direct copy or direct stream copy ). If you cut the file at just the right point on an I-frame of the video, then it works best. Talked a little bit here:

It’ll be a bit of a faff to ensure you’re trimming on an I-frame, but a bit of google-fu will see your right. Then once you’ve trimmed, the system should simply do a direct copy of the source to the output file you specify. You’ll be limited to disk read/write speed by that point rather than encode speed.

Soldato
Da Vinci will do it and that's free. You can even take it into Adobe media encoder and set in and out points and export from there without touching premiere. You might be able to do it with a trial of a wondershare uniconverter.

Back
Top Bottom