Recommend GPU brands for RTX4080

Associate
Now EVGA aren’t making any RTX 4000 series GPU’s I’m wondering what brands are good alternatives. When I first heard about the RTX 4,000, they were the first brand I considered, because when I was building my PC, I decided on an EVGA psu rather than Corsair, maybe because of better prices, but just unboxing it, It just felt a good quality product l, the cables look like they’ll last, great packaging. And so then brought an EVGA RTX2080xc, and have no complaints with that and love their Precision X1 overclocking software. But wondering what alternative GPU brands to look at. I’ve always considered Asus to be one of the best for motherboards, but the GPU’s seem a bit expensive. I’m driven towards Gigabyte, the fan designs look impressive. What’s thoughts for MSI? Not sure if I think they seem a little high priced, but something’s putting me off them. I seem to make snap decisions for certain brands for different components. But are there brands you’d say, deserve more recognition for their quality, and will grow once they’re reputation for quality gets more recognition? Those are the brands I look for.

Associate
From a performance perspective it does not matter whcih brand you go for because they are all very very similar and are limited by what Nv will allow them to do with voltages etc. This is one of the main reasons that EVGA decided not to make 4xxx series cards.
There are no 4080 released yet so we cannot comment on the quality of the coolers but all the AIB 4090 coolers work very well and are a little quieter than the Nv FE 4090.

I have heard there is coil whine on quite a few 4090s and the more premium brands like Asus and Msi are more affected than the lesser known brands like Inno3D Zotac etc. Apparently it is to do with the different capacitors they use.

I currently have an Asus TUF card and the quality of the cooler was excellent .....right up until I took it off to replace with a waterblock. Before that I had a KFA2 1080 and it was perfectly fine it still ticks along today in 2nd PC. Before that I had an MSI 4850 and it was the first time I had a gpu that was not a trashy blower style and it was excellent. I personally have a lot of MSi products and I trust them , they have not let me down yet and yes I am touching wood.

The bottom line is that it is a lottery, there can be 2 identical cards from same manufacturer and 1 can have horrendous coil whine and run hot whilst the other has no coil whine and clocks really well.

Associate
I've got a Zotak card, no coil whine, 5 year warranty.

Doesn't look as good as my MSI (3090) I had, but as Haz says they all perform the same (4090 that is).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom