Recommend me a colour laser MFP

Associate
On the lookout for a colour laserjet multi-function printer that ideally has all the following:

Wireless printing from iPhone
scanning and photo-copying (flatbed and sheet-feed)
fast printing (particularly mono, which will be 75% of my printing)
economical in terms of toner cartridges
less than £300

Any suggestions? HP/Brother/Samsung/Canon ??

ta

Associate
I'm looking at a brother dcp-9020cdw.
Also it's networked and duplex, 18ppm

£180

Toner is also peanuts, £6-8 for black. £40 ish for a full set of colour

edit:-
Brother mfc-9140cdn looks good £207

Associate
Hi guys,

I was about to start a new thread and saw this..

I'm actually after a laser printer of exactly the same spec as the OP :) So will join this instead.

Associate
The above printers that Zirax mentions look good.

Just been comparing the spec sheets. At first glance I see that the mfc-9140cdn is slightly faster than the dcp-9020cdw, being able to print and copy at 22 pages/min, vs 18, and also features a colour fax. They seem to be identical spec for spec in all other areas, including: processor, memory, resolution and paper handling.

Both of them supporting AirPrint is great.

So I guess that if you don't need the extra 4 pages/min and the colour fax - the dcp-9020cdw is the more cost effective option.

I'd not heard of LED printers until I looked at these, are they as good as laser printers?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've bought several 9020cdw mfps for management home use, they are decent devices, none have broken in 2 years and rainforest toner works out quite cheap.
If I could grumble at all, perhaps they fall off WiFi once every load of months, not so much disconnect but need to be printed to before the scan to folder function begins to work again but it's not a biggy, decent printers.

Soldato
I'm looking at a brother dcp-9020cdw.
Also it's networked and duplex, 18ppm

I have this printer and its wonderful. Two things to note: the scanner is not duplexed and early models (e.g. mine) had a fault which caused excessive wear on the fuser roller. This was fixed by a firmware update but not before I had to fit a new fuser assembly.

Associate
If I could grumble at all, perhaps they fall off WiFi once every load of months, not so much disconnect but need to be printed to before the scan to folder function begins to work again but it's not a biggy

That doesn't sound like too much of an issue - have you had any reports of them dropping off the network fully and not being able to be printed to?

rainforest toner works out quite cheap

What is rainforest toner?

This was fixed by a firmware update but not before I had to fit a new fuser assembly.

Can the firmware be updated easily if needed?

I've also spotted the dcp-9015cdw which is the version without the automatic document feeder, aside from that, identical to the dcp-9020cdw spec for spec.

Thank you :)

EDIT: Just noticed that in addition to the automatic doc feeder, the dcp-9020cdw also has Ethernet connectivity, not present on the dcp-9015cd.

Last edited:
Soldato
That doesn't sound like too much of an issue - have you had any reports of them dropping off the network fully and not being able to be printed to?

What is rainforest toner?

I've also spotted the dcp-9015cd which is the version without the automatic document feeder, aside from that, identical to the dcp-9020cdw spec for spec.

Thank you :)
No they have behaved pretty well.
Rainforest..online shopping site that must not get mentioned on here. :)

Associate
Thanks for the replies :)

Considering the DCP-9020CDW and DCP-9015CDW.

Would the extra £50 be worth it for the automatic document feeder and ethernet connectivity?

The DCP-9020CDW seems to be the more popular model out of the two.

Associate
I've bought several 9020cdw mfps for management home use, they are decent devices, none have broken in 2 years and rainforest toner works out quite cheap.
If I could grumble at all, perhaps they fall off WiFi once every load of months, not so much disconnect but need to be printed to before the scan to folder function begins to work again but it's not a biggy, decent printers.

Not experienced this with wired connectivity. In fact, the printer has been pretty solid for the last 6 months I've had it. The ADF is very useful to quickly scan stuff and have it sent to a network location.

If you search online, there's a site which sells ink to refill your existing toners too. Not tried it as yet, but if it's as easy as they show it to be, would be a very cheap way to replace the toner.

Associate
I have this printer and its wonderful. Two things to note: the scanner is not duplexed and early models (e.g. mine) had a fault which caused excessive wear on the fuser roller. This was fixed by a firmware update but not before I had to fit a new fuser assembly.
Quartz, when you say the scanner is not duplexed do you mean that it can't a) scan both sides in one feed or that b) it needs to scan one side and flip it over to scan the second, or that c) it simply doesn't have a function to scan two sides of a document.

Soldato
Quartz, when you say the scanner is not duplexed do you mean that it can't a) scan both sides in one feed or that b) it needs to scan one side and flip it over to scan the second, or that c) it simply doesn't have a function to scan two sides of a document.
I believe a and c apply. You can scan one side only. But its been years since I last tried so I could well be wrong. There's definitely no automatic scanning of the second side.

Soldato
They're good printers, I have one too. It's quick (including waking up when it's on power save) and it's quiet which considering it sits on the corner of my desk is great.

The consumables are expensive, well, the HP branded ones are. I'm still on the original set so may try a 3rd party set when the time comes.

Caporegime
Oh man its so annoying... this thread made me look at the Brothers and I saw a great printer the Brother MFC-L2750DW which is a lovely sleek black colour which would really blend into my bedroom (white would look awful). Then I saw that it was mono so went to look for the colour version brother MFC-L3750 and bleh... they only have it in white.... wtf no black!

Back to the drawing board. :(

Back
Top Bottom