Recommend me a good 939 motherboard for overclocking please!

Associate
I am currently using a Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI for my 939 Athlon64 4000 CPU. I have tried very hard to reach a stable overclock but will admit defeat. It's a great motherboard at stock speeds but simply rubbish for overclocking.

I have decent airflow throughout my case and I am using a beefy pure copper heatsink. CPU idles at 30c, 38 full load, so I reckon I can get a decent overclock out of it.

So, can anyone recommend a good 939 motherboard for overclocking the hell out of my A64 4000?

Thanks for reading :)

Associate
OP
Thinking the same thing now... but do I really need a 480W PSU?! According to various sources, that is the minimum requirement...

I have an Akasa Ultra-Quiet 460W Paxpower PSU... which ran my previous SLI setup with ease, including four storage drive and 5 exhaust fans. I won't be running SLI again for a while, so I'm hoping my PSU will cope.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
That PSU should cope o.k,if it's previously coped with a sli setup then a single 7900 series gpu which are less power hungry than the 7xxxx series shouldn't be any problem for it,obviously the more you overclock your cpu and increase voltages etc,the higher the power requirements will be.

If things do get flaky as you overclock,it's always a pain if you have doubts about your psu as you can never be 100% sure which part of the system is letting you down,I like to take psu problems out of the equation and use something that is known to be extremely stable,even at high power requirements.

I've never used Akasa so I can't be sure,but I've never thought of them as one of the premium psu manufacturers,look towards getting hold of a PCP & Cooling,Seasonic,Tagan or Enermax at some point,the hardware in your particular rig justifys the use of an extremely high quality unit. :)

Associate
Sorry to hijack

but I have just bought one of these and its gona go with my

ThernalTake Silent Power 430watt PSU. is it going to be enough.

its gona run with the spec in my sig exept the ASUS A8N-E :)

Soldato
I have 2 MSI Boards.

Neo2-Platinum
Neo4-F

Both boards have gone to 300FSB.

Both boards currently running their CPUs at 2.7 ( x2 3800 and a Winchester 3200 ) just fine 24/7 - The winchester has been running prime since August 14th so I recon thats stable enough dont you? - Admittedly that PC is never used for anythign other than Folding these days.

Erm, Samsung PC3200 RAM in the Neo4 and OCZ in the Neo2 FWIW Both CPUs at 1.55v BTW

Associate
Oh Yea my DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D is awsome :D

When I got it it took my Opty 144 straight up to 2.95Ghz and i'm sure with a bit more patiance it will be able to do 3Ghz :)

So I deffinatly recomend this board for overclocking as its bios has amazing features.

Associate
smit101 said:
It's gotta be the DFI Ultra D mate,especially as you can have it for less than 70 notes at present!

Have to agree. Check the spec below. mine stable as **** with an Arctic Freezer 64 on.

Cant recommend them enough to be honest. I will never purchase any other other Mobo now I've had a DFI

Back
Top Bottom