Recommend me a router to replace Asus AC-86U

Associate
Got fibre a few months ago. ISP router couldn't cope because ohmygosh I had 30 devices connected according to tech support - cmon you sold me 'gigabit' fibre and you supplied a toy router! :) Anyway, I've lots of smart devices on an aging Asus AC-86U which was great a decade ago and Merlin support is not going past 2024, so likely won't get many upgrades to keep it staggering on. Only used it because Vodafone 's router is terrible, even with their boosters. I cat6 cabled up the living room, and up to upstairs so all the performance requiring devices are alright. Smart stuff all 2.4Ghz. 4 devices wifi6 capable but honestly it's been fine. I thought about getting the AX equivalent but I'm aware of the Asus hate ;) Don't mind brand just want rock solid stability which this old Asus with Merlin has provided. If you were getting a router right now- or waiting for Prime Day/Black Friday- and you were overdue for an upgrade, which would you get? Just trying to plan the upgrade. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Asus RT-AX57 £89.99, Taiwanese, gets generally good reviews, WiFi 6, whole home coverage, supports multiple devices. Might be worth a look:
This is what I'd considered as the next gen from what I had, but the little bro of the current crop. Worth considering but I think it's already on Asus' end of life list.

Associate
OP
Asus are a terrible company. I wouldn’t buy anything from them especially routers which have a habit of shipping with security issues

Purely because I use it myself, I suggest a Unifi setup though it may be a bit more complex and expensive than the OP wants. Rock solid stability now
Yes! Yes! Gooood! Give in to your hate and feel the power of the da- oh wait we are talking routers not philosophy. I know there are issues, but my experience with my current one has been stellar. Totally not a fanboy though so good to gather other options opinions. Unifi are expensive and not too complex but perhaps unnecessary for me. They cross to the negative side on my value-for-money-ometer.

Associate
OP
If you don't want mesh, but do just one a single box to do the jobs then the GL Inet Flint 2 would be my recommendation. I say that as I have an AC86U and keep thinking of "upgrading" to get wifi 6 and better hardware until I remember I have zero issues with what I have atm.

Couple of threads on this forum about their stuff.

I have heard good things and it is a contender after looking through your links thanks! Yeah the current one is I guess 'fine' but Merlin say they won't support it from some point this year. Might need to get my nerd on and see if I have the patience to play about with a Flint 2.

Back
Top Bottom