Recommend me a surround sound set up for XBox360

Associate
I have an XBox 360 with a Joytech vga cable(it also has an optical lead for sound). What would be a good surround sound speaker setup which would work with it? it has to be fairly cheap though(50 quid?).

Xbox 360 uses 5.1 surround sound right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Doubt you'll get a decent 5.1 DD setup for £50. Can get one for £90 or so from a well known high street store with a fat catalogue.

You can either hook up the 360 via the optical lead to a good amp, or you can look at solutions like the high end logitech's on the ocuk webby. I've still yet to get a setup too, but the silly amounts of wires these setups have will give me a headache in such a small room.

Associate
I manged to get a lovely Samsung home cinema system from comet reduced due to a big scratch and few broken cables.

Just put the scatched speaker behind a chair (A normal speaker would have to had to go there because of mum) and replaced the cables.

Looks lovely, sounds great and the DVD player is the best i've ever had all for £150 quid

Shame i'm at uni now tho :(

May have a steal it back for when I move into a house next year.

Caporegime
No they dont have an an input to connect up the 360. Sadly I just had the same problem and ended up buying the logitech z5400 set up.

Its very good but obviously more expensive than you was looking to pay.

Soldato
My mate got a 5.1 set off ebay for about £50. made by Acoustic Solutions or Systems or something, have a search for that. It's got a DD decoder built in (optical and coax inputs), came with a sub, 5 satelites and loads of cables, and 2 speaker stands.

I was trying to get him to spend a bit more on a decent 2nd hand amp and speakers but he wasn't having any of it. He's really pleased with it. Personally I think it sounds awful but I'm used to better stuff I suppose. He's happy and that's the main thing.

Caporegime
McDaniel said:
for true 5.1 you wont get anything for £50

ive got a Logitech Z5500 setup and its v v nice :D

Thats about the best low budget set-up you will get and thats £200. I wouldn't recommend anything else lower I'm afraid. Get saving.

Man of Honour
There are DVD-Speaker combinations out there that have optical input, but I love sound, and want it to be the best possible, so I wouldn't personally buy them.

I was shopping for a 5.1 system last year, budget of around £100, but there really wasn't anything out there that would give me good quality of sound. I chose to go for a good 2.1 Logitech THX set up, and was very impressed with it. It's not as good as a proper Hi-Fi, but it takes up a lot less space.

Soldato
I too looked at a "budget" system that will get *** best out of my xbox!

In the end i gave up, as i wanted to get true 5.1 (optical)
I ended up spending way way over budget but boy was it worth it!

Denon Amp - £150
MS302 - £70
Gale Gold monitors - £80
Mission Centre - £30
Gale 3090 sub - £50

Then spent 60 quid on cables!

If your going to be using the setup for dvds its worth
spending the extra.

So many times ive "Bought cheap bought twice" so this time
i thought id spend a bit more to get something that will sound
good for a while :)

Andy

Associate
spent a bundle on surround sound... huge polk centre speaker... monster tanoy

floor standers..... rear polk surrounds and small polk for rear centre and a chunky sony amp :D Got me

xbox on sunday and that hooked up to me 42inch plazma and

surround :D I'm in heaven :D

but plazma isnt hd ready :(

dont even want to add up what the whole lot cost .... funny thing that the

budget allways starts low and ends up getting out of control :eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom